You won’t believe how easy it is to make homemade pizza sauce with all your cherry tomatoes from the garden. Fresh flavor, but a unique color, this thick sauce is our new favorite for pizza night!
I found myself with a lot of cherry tomatoes. I mean, a lot. I planted three plants and they took over my garden. And while I love them in salads, I was at a loss for what to make with them.
Until now. On a whim I made this delicous pizza sauce and it is now our family favorite! Every Friday night we have pizza night and this delicious sauce is going on our pizza.
How to Make Homemade Pizza Sauce Using Cherry Tomatoes
- Roast approximately 200 cherry tomatoes in a 400˚ F preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the tomatoes just start to burst open and the skins start to shrivel.
- While roasting, sauté onion and garlic in a large sauce pan over medium heat until onions are translucent.
- Combine all ingredients in the large saucepan, including all the cherry tomato juice. Simmer for 1 hour and then use an immersion blender to create a sauce. Simmer for an additional hour stirring often until the sauce is the desired thickness.
- Let cool and store in the freezer until ready to thaw and enjoy.
You can use mason jars or freezer storage bags to store your pizza sauce – if you’re not using it right away. I decided to use pint-size mason jars for storage. Once filled to about 1 inch from the top of the jars, I placed them in the freezer. When ready to use, I let thaw for at least 24 hours in the refrigerator. One pint will provide sauce to four 12-inch medium pizzas.
- For a smoother sauce, once cool, strain the sauce through a fine-mesh strainer to remove seeds and skins.
- When using an immersion blender make sure to use extreme caution to avoid burns with the hot sauce.
- If you find your sauce is more acidic then you prefer, add 1 teaspoon of sugar to make it sweeter.
Pizza is one of our favorite family meals, and now with homemade pizza sauce it feels even more homemade! I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did!
More Sauce Recipes
- Raspberry Sauce Recipe
- The Best Crockpot Cranberry Sauce Recipe
- Crockpot Apple Butter From Applesauce Recipe
Homemade Pizza Sauce from Cherry Tomatoes
- 200 cherry tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400˚ F. Roast tomatoes for 20 minutes or until the skins start to shrivel and the tomatoes start to pop open.
- While roasting, sauté onions in olive oil. Add garlic once translucent and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add roasted tomatoes with all juice to the sautéd onions and garlic in addition to all remaining ingredients. Simmer for two hours stirring often. Let cool slightly and use an immersion blender (carefully!) to create a sauce. Bring back to simmer if the desired thickness is not achieved yet.
- Let cool and store in an airtight container in the freezer until ready to thaw and enjoy.
Did you create this?
Share it on Instagram and follow us on Pinterest for more Cleverly Simple recipes.
Comments & Reviews
I have plenty of regular tomatoes, about how many pounds of these would I use in place of the 200 cherry tomatoes?
I have no idea, to be honest. I did a little research online but it looks like it depends on the type of tomato. I would guess around 12 large tomatoes. But again, I’m totally guessing based on the volume I used.
DEBORAH MAHON says
what a great idea for cherry tomatoes. Can I can this recipe instead of freezing?
I’m sure you could. You’ll want to follow a reputable canning recipe and add lemon juice or citric acid to the recipe. I have not canned this recipe, so I can’t give you specifics on how long to water can. If you do, let me know how it turns out!