Delicious fresh pizza sauce made with cherry tomatoes.
- Approx. 200 cherry tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- teaspoon teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400˚ F. Roast tomatoes for 20 minutes or until the skins start to shrivel and the tomatoes start to pop open.
- While roasting, sauté onions in olive oil. Add garlic once translucent and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add roasted tomatoes with all juice to the sautéd onions and garlic in addition to all remaining ingredients. Simmer for two hours stirring often. Let cool slightly and use an immersion blender (carefully!) to create a sauce. Bring back to simmer if the desired thickness is not achieved yet.
- Let cool and store in an airtight container in the freezer until ready to thaw and enjoy.
Storage: You can use mason jars or freezer storage bags to store your pizza sauce. I decided to use pint-size mason jars to store the pizza sauce. Once filled to about 1 inch from the top of the jars, I placed them in the freezer. When ready to use, I let thaw for at least 24 hours in the refrigerator. One pint will provide sauce for 12-inch medium pizzas.
Smooth Sauce: For a smoother sauce, once cool strain the sauce through a find mesh strainer to remove seeds and skins.
Caution: When using an immersion blender make sure to use extreme caution to avoid burns with the hot sauce.
Make Sweeter: If you find your sauce is more acidic then you prefer, add 1 teaspoon of sugar to make it sweeter.
- Serving Size: 1 oz
- Calories: 31
- Sugar: 3.1
- Sodium: 5.6
- Fat: .7
- Carbohydrates: 6
- Protein: 1.2
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: homemade pizza sauce, homemade sauce from cherry tomatoes