Easy homemade pop tarts recipe made with peanut butter and jelly enclosed in a baked pie crust. You’ll love the golden brown and flaky crust that surrounds the sweet filling.
Do you know what’s better than making a family favorite like pop tarts at home? Knowing that homemade is even better than the original! You won’t believe how easy it is to make your own at home. Here’s why I love this recipe.
- You can freeze them for busy days.
- They are perfect for lunches or for breakfast.
- The kids can help make it. I love teaching my kids that homemade pop tarts taste better when you make them.
Homemade Pop Tarts Ingredients
- refrigerated pie crust
- peanut butter
- flour + extra for dusting
- Egg (optional)
How to Make Pop Tarts
Preheat your oven to 425˚ F. Roll out the pie crust and cut them into 3×4 inch rectangles. You can re-roll the leftover dough with a rolling pin until you’re out of dough. You don’t want to waste it! With both crusts in the package you should get around 16 rectangles to make 8 pastries.
Combine the flour and jelly in a bowl. Place alternating strips of about 1/2 to 3/4 inch teaspoon each. You don’t want it to be too thick. As you can see from the picture above you need to leave at least 1/2 inch around the outer edge.
*Make sure you only add filling to HALF of the rectangles you created. You’re going to need tops!
Place a rectangle of pie dough on top and seal it with a fork. You’ll work your way around the entire pastry. This is a great step for kids. They probably won’t look as “nice” as the ones above but like I said, kids love to help with this kind of stuff.
Place your finished pastries on a non-stick pan. You can brush the top of the pastries with an egg wash. (Beat an egg with 1 teaspoon of water.) The egg wash will help the pastries brown.
Bake for approximately 10 minutes at 425˚ F or until golden brown. I like to make sure my crust is thoroughly cooked so don’t worry about a little browning and a little bit of the jelly seeping out.
That’s it! Enjoy these Homemade Pop Tarts with your family while they’re warm. Or you can freeze them and put them in a toaster oven on a busy morning. The traditional toaster might work but the jelly can start to exit the pop tart so use a toaster with caution. Learn from me. 🙂
More Breakfast Recipes
- Crockpot Breakfast Casserole Recipe With Sausage
- Bisquick Breakfast Quiche
- Make Ahead Wine & Cheese Omelet Breakfast Casserole
Homemade Pop tarts
Make your own pop tarts at home and fill them with peanut butter and jelly for a real treat!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- 1 Pkg. Refrigerated Pie Crust
- ¼ Cup Peanut Butter
- ¼ Cup Jelly
- 1 teaspoon Flour + extra for dusting
- 1 Egg (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425˚.
- Cut out pie crust into 3×4 inch rectangles. Re-roll left over dough with rolling pin until you are out of dough, with both crusts you should get about 16 rectangles for 8 pastries.
- In a small Bowl mix the Jelly and Flour together.
- Place two alternating stripes of ½ – ¾ teas. Jelly mixture and Peanut Butter on half of the rectangles.
- Place a rectangle on top and seal with a forks tines working your way around the entire pastry.
- Place on a non-stick cookie sheet.
- Optional you can brush with an egg wash (egg beaten with 1 teas. of water) for better browning.
- Bake at 425˚ until golden brown. Approximately 10 minutes.
Keywords: how to make pop tarts, homemade pop tarts recipe