Have ground beef? Make Sloppy Joes. This is not just any sandwich! This is the BEST homemade Sloppy Joe made with a thick from-scratch tomato sauce mixed with ground beef and served on fresh buns. This sauce is better than anything you’ll find in the can!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 oz or 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3 oz or 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
- In a medium sauce pan, brown and cook one pound of ground beef. Drain the grease. Remove the cooked ground beef from the pan.
- In the now empty sauce pan, saute the onions and peppers until translucent and soft. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes, stirring often, until the sauce is thickened.
- Add the cooked ground beef back into the homemade sauce and simmer until heated through.
- Fill hamburger buns with Sloppy Joe sauce and serve immediately.