Hearty homemade soft pretzels made in less than 45 minutes with simple pantry ingredients. These are best when served warm.
- 2 1/4 active dry yeast (or 1 yeast packet)
- 1 1/3 Cups warm water (105˚F to 115˚F)
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3 1/2 – 4 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 2 Tablespoons coarse salt
- Preheat your oven to 425˚F. In the electric mixer bowl combine the yeast and the warm water. On stir speed using the mixer attachment, gradually add the sugar, salt and flour until the dough is soft and slightly sticky.
- Add the dough hook mixer attachment, and knead the dough for approximately 3 minutes on low adding the additional 1/2 Cup of flour if needed. The dough should not stick to the sides of the bowl and be smooth and elastic.
- Cut the dough in half and then cut each half into 6 equal pieces. Roll the dough into a rope by rubbing the dough back and forth with the palm of your hands until the dough rope is 15 inches long. Place the dough rope on a baking dish. Form pretzel shape.
- Place pretzels 3 inches apart on the baking dish. Enlarge the holes on the pretzels using your fingers. Whisk together 1 egg and 1 Tablespoon of water in a small bowl. Brush onto the pretzels. (You will not use all the egg wash.) Sprinkle with salt.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until the soft pretzels are golden brown.
How to Form a Pretzel Shape: Cross the left side of the rope over to the middle of the rope to create a loop. Fold the right side of the dough rope over the first loop to form a pretzel shape.
- Category: Snack
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 pretzel
- Calories: 145
- Sugar: 1.2
- Sodium: 8.2
- Fat: .8
- Carbohydrates: 29.2
- Protein: 4.6
- Cholesterol: 15.5
Keywords: soft pretzels, soft pretzel recipe, how to make soft pretzels from scratch