Easy macaroni casserole recipe made with vegetables, kielbasa and a homemade cheese sauce.
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup green onion
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 6 oz. quality kielbasa
- 2 cups macaroni noodles, uncooked
- 8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Chop raw broccoli, green onion and red bell pepper. Sauté them all in the butter for about 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Chop 6 oz. of high quality kielbasa and add to the pan of vegetables.
- Sauté for another 5 minutes or until crispy edges start to form on the meat and the broccoli appears roasted. Set the pan aside.
- Meanwhile, boil well salted water and cook 2 cups of macaroni until al dente (5-6 minutes) Drain
- Next, in a microwave safe bowl, combine the sharp cheddar cheese, whole milk, sour cream, cream cheese, salt, pepper and ground mustard. Microwave on high for one-minute increments until the sauce is melted and creamy (about 5 minutes)
- Add your cooked macaroni to the pan of veggies and kielbasa. Pour over the sauce and mix well.
- Top with ½ cup panko breadcrumbs and bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
Can be made ahead and refrigerated. When ready to bake, uncover and add about 10 minutes to the baking time.
Keywords: macaroni casserole