Making a pie crust with shortening is much easier than you think! Here’s a step by step tutorial to make your own pie crust.
- 5 Tablespoons ice cold water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
- Make ice water and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 T. granulated sugar and 1/2 tsp. salt. Then add 3/4 cup shortening.
- Using a pastry blender or fork, mash the shortening into the flour mixture over and over until you have crumbles the size of peas.
- Pour 5 Tablespoons (or 1/4 cup + 1 T) of the ice cold water into a measuring cup and add 1 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar.
- Pour this water/vinegar mixture into the bowl of crumbles (a little at a time) while also stirring it up with a fork. Do this just until the dough holds together without breaking apart.
- With your hands, mold the dough into a ball and place it on a lightly floured surface. Immediately begin rolling out the dough with a rolling pin using strokes from the center to the edges until you have a rough 12-13 inch circle.
- Fold the dough right to left “hotdog style.” Then fold it again from the bottom to the top and place the dough triangle on your pie plate like shown. Unfold the triangle to its original circle and gently pat it down into the plate.
- Using a non-serrated knife, roughly trim off the excess dough that is hanging off the edge of the plate.
- To make a classic fluted edge, use a finger from your left hand to push out on the edge while you use two fingers from your right hand to push in around your left hand finger.
- Roll out the excess dough on your lightly floured surface and cut out a circle and/or decorations the size that you want on top of your filling.
- Fill immediately or freeze for long term storage.
- Category: Dessert