A savory and DELICIOUS make ahead breakfast casserole created with dry white wine, thick genoa salami, stone ground mustard and three kinds of cheese. Assemble it ahead (up to 24 hours) to make an easy Christmas breakfast (or weeknight meal.)
- 1 Loaf of French bread
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 4 oz. shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 4 oz. shredded Swiss or Swiss Gruyere cheese
- 5 slices of 1/4 inch thick genoa salami
- 8 eggs
- 1 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 large whole green onions, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon stone ground or whole grain mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
- Melt 6 tablespoons of butter and spread half of it at the bottom of a 13 x 9 pan. Layer 2-inch thick slices of french bread into the pan and pour the remaining melted butter on top. Sprinkle with the shredded Monterey jack and swiss cheeses. Coarsely chop the salami and add on top.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, dry white wine, chopped green onions, mustard and fresh ground black pepper. Pour this mixture over the pan.
- Cover the dish with foil and refrigerate at least overnight or up to 24 hours.
- When ready to bake, remove from the refrigerator and preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Bake the wine and cheese omelet for 1 hour, or until set. Remove from the oven, uncover, and spread 3/4 cup of sour cream on top and sprinkle with 1/2 cup of freshly shredded parmesan cheese. Bake uncovered for 10 additional minutes until it is lightly browned and sizzling.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: make ahead breakfast casserole, overnight breakfast casserole, breakfast egg casserole, best breakfast casserole