This old-fashioned carrot cake is made from scratch using the perfect combination of spices and topped with a thick homemade pineapple cream cheese glaze. It’s moist, delicious, and simple to make using your 9×13 pan.
- 2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 3/4 Cup sugar
- 1 1/4 Cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 3 Cups grated carrots
- 1 Cup chopped pecans
Cream Cheese Glaze
- 3 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 Cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 Cups powdered sugar
- 8 oz can crushed pineapple, drained
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, baking soda and sugar.
- In order stir in the following: vegetable oil, beaten eggs, grated carrots and nuts. Mix by hand.
- Bake in a greased baking pan for 30-40 minutes at 350˚F.
- Let cool completely before adding the glaze.
Cream Cheese Glaze
- Beat together softened cream cheese and butter. Mix in the vanilla and powdered sugar.
- Stir in by hand the drained pineapple.
- Glaze cooled carrot cake. Store in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Make-Ahead. I recommend making this cake ahead of time because of the time it takes to cool a cake before adding the cream cheese frosting. After letting the cake fully cool and before frosting, you can store it covered in saran wrap at room temperature.
Freezing. This cake freezes really well! Once frosted, store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to enjoy, let thaw in the refrigerator.
Storing. Because of the cream cheese frosting, store in the refrigerator in an airtight container or covered to avoid the cake from drying out.
Cake Pan Sizes. This cake is made using three 8″ round pans, two 9″ round pans, or one 9×13 inch pan.
- Serving Size: 1 slice of cake
- Calories: 705
- Sugar: 71.2
- Sodium: 472.2
- Fat: 37.4
- Carbohydrates: 91.4
- Protein: 5.9
- Cholesterol: 79.3
Keywords: carrot cake, old fashioned carrot cake, carrot cake from scratch