This old-fashioned fool-proof double pie crust recipe made with shortening is the very, very best!
- 4 Cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 heaping Tablespoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 1/2 Cups shortening, chilled
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt. Blend together with a whisk.
- Using a pastry cutter, cut in 1 and ½ cups of chilled shortening. Shortening and flour should be well distributed.
- Crack an egg (cold from refrigerator) into ½ cup of cold water. Add 1 Tablespoon of vinegar and mix well with a fork.
- Make a dip in the center of flour mixture and pour in the egg/water mixture.
- Stir with a fork gently to blend wet and dry ingredients until just moistened and dough leaves side of bowl. Chill in the refrigerator.
- Roll onto a lightly floured pastry mat and create your pie crust.
- Bake according to pie directions.
Chilled Shortening: Make sure to chill your shortening. It needs to be cold.
Flaky Crust: To make a flakier crust, use 1/2 all purpose flour and 1/2 pastry flour.
Freezer Ready: To freeze the pie crust, roll out and place in pie plate as directed. Cover completely in plastic wrap and if possible in plastic bag. Freezer. When ready to use, place at room temperature as you prepare your pie filling. Bake as directed.
- Category: Pie
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice of pie crust
- Calories: 583
- Sugar: 1.8
- Sodium: 302.5
- Fat: 39.6
- Carbohydrates: 49.3
- Protein: 7.2
- Cholesterol: 23.3
Keywords: homemade pie dough, the best homemade pie crust recipe