This old-fashioned fool-proof double pie crust recipe made with shortening is the very, very best!
- 4 Cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 heaping Tablespoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 1/2 Cups shortening, chilled
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt. Blend together with a whisk.
- Using a pastry cutter, cut in 1 and ½ cups of chilled shortening. Shortening and flour should be well distributed.
- Crack an egg (cold from refrigerator) into ½ cup of cold water. Add 1 Tablespoon of vinegar and mix well with a fork.
- Make a dip in the center of flour mixture and pour in the egg/water mixture.
- Stir with a fork gently to blend wet and dry ingredients until just moistened and dough leaves side of bowl. Chill in the refrigerator.
- Roll onto a lightly floured pastry mat and create your pie crust.
- Bake according to pie directions.
Make sure to chill your shortening. It needs to be cold.
To make a flakier crust, use 1/2 all purpose flour and 1/2 pastry flour.