Delicious old fashioned potato salad made with redskin potatoes and egg bathed in a mustard and celery sauce. Best made the day before so the flavors can absorb into the potatoes.
- 5 lbs redskin potatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 7 celery stalks, diced
- 1 tsp celery seed
- small yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup of salad green olives
- 2/3 cup miracle whip
- 1 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp yellow mustard
- 7 hard boiled eggs
- Submerge 5 lbs of washed red potatoes in a stove-top ready pan with cold water. Place pan on stove and bring to boil. Once boiling add teaspoon of salt to 5 lbs of potatoes. Boil for 10 – 15 minutes or until potatoes are done.
- Cool potatoes completely and peel (You can also leave them un-peeled if you prefer.)
- Place cooled potatoes in large bowl. Add celery, celery seed, onion and olives. Toss and let sit for 20 minutes to allow the potatoes to soak up the flavor.
- While the potatoes are soaking up the flavor, in a separate bowl, mix Miracle Whip, Mayonnaise and Mustard.
- Toss the potato mixture with half of the dressing. Slowly incorporate the dressing until it’s the desired consistency.
- Chop the hard -boiled eggs into bit size pieces. Gently incorporate into potato mixture. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
This potato salad is best when made the day before you need to allow the flavors to really mix.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Salad
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 190
- Sugar: 2.3
- Sodium: 285.7
- Fat: 12.1
- Carbohydrates: 17
- Protein: 3.7
- Cholesterol: 60.2
Keywords: potato salad recipe, how to make potato salad, red potato salad, homemade potato salad