Sweet and crunchy snacks are perfect for any occasion. This puppy chow recipe is made with a simple homemade chocolate and peanut butter sauce which is poured over two different kinds of Chex cereal and then tossed in powdered sugar.
When you’re in the mood for a sweet snack you might reach for a granola bar or butterscotch no-bake cookies but what I love about this recipe I’m sharing today – is the crunch! It has great texture and reminds me of caramel Chex mix!
Puppy chow (also known as muddy buddies) is one of my favorite sweet treats. The crunchy texture with the chocolate and peanut butter combination make them irresistible! It’s hard to stop snacking when these are around.
This recipe could be considered a fun appetizer if you’re hosting a party for the big game or having friends over. They store well once made in an airtight container at room temperature which means you can make them ahead of time!
How to Make Puppy Chow
- Prep. Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Measure the cereal into a large bowl and set it aside.
- Melt. In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter for 1 minute, then stir. Continue microwaving in 30-second intervals, stirring in between until smooth.
- Mix. Pour the melted chocolate and peanut butter over the Chex cereal and gently mix until the cereal is fully coated.
- Shake. Divide the coated Chex cereal into two 1 gallon storage bags. Add the powdered sugar to the bags. Seal the bags and shake until all the cereal is coated.
- Cool. Spread the cereal out onto the baking sheet lined wax paper to cool.
Stove top Version: You can melt the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter over low heat in a medium saucepan. Make sure to stir constantly. Remove from heat when the chocolate chips are almost melted. Continue to stir until smooth.
- Melting: Just like when you make chocolate covered pretzels, you want to melt the chocolate until it’s ALMOST melted. When there are a few bits of chocolate left, remove it from heat, and stir until completely smooth. The chocolate will continue to melt as you stir.
- Adaptations: This recipe can be made festive by adding Jordan Almonds at Easter or adding festive colored M&Ms during any other holiday.
- Store: To keep the puppy chow from getting stale, once cool transfer to an airtight container. It can be stored for up to one week at room temperature. (It never lasts that long!)
- Serving: Serve in a large bowl for all to enjoy or you can package in cute little festive cups for individual use.
More Snack Recipes
Puppy Chow (Muddy Buddies)
- 4 1/2 Cup Rice Chex Cereal
- 4 1/2 Cups Corn Chex Cereal
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Line a large baking sheet with wax paper. Measure the cereal into a large bowl and set it aside.
- In a microwave-safe medium bowl, microwave the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter for 1 minute, then stir. Continue microwaving in 30-second intervals, stirring in between until smooth.
- Pour the melted chocolate/peanut butter over the cereal and gently mix until the cereal is all coated.
- Transfer the coated cereal into two 1 gallon storage bags. Add 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar to each bag. Seal the bag and shake until all the cereal is coated.
- Spread the coated cereal onto the baking sheet to cool. Once cool store in an airtight container.