Sweet and crunchy snacks are perfect for any occasion. This puppy chow recipe is made with a simple homemade chocolate and peanut butter sauce which is poured over two different kinds of Chex cereal and then tossed in powdered sugar.
- 4 1/2 Cup Rice Chex Cereal
- 4 1/2 Cups Corn Chex Cereal
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Line a large baking sheet with wax paper. Measure the cereal into a large bowl and set it aside.
- In a microwave-safe medium bowl, microwave the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter for 1 minute, then stir. Continue microwaving in 30-second intervals, stirring in between until smooth.
- Pour the melted chocolate/peanut butter over the cereal and gently mix until the cereal is all coated.
- Transfer the coated cereal into two 1 gallon storage bags. Add 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar to each bag. Seal the bag and shake until all the cereal is coated.
- Spread the coated cereal onto the baking sheet to cool. Once cool store in an airtight container.
Melting: Just like when you make chocolate covered pretzels, you want to melt the chocolate until it’s ALMOST melted. When there are a few bits of chocolate left, remove it from heat, and stir until completely smooth. The chocolate will continue to melt as you stir.
Adaptations: This recipe can be made festive by adding Jordan Almonds at Easter or adding festive colored M&Ms at any other holiday.
Store: To keep the puppy chow from getting stale, once cool transfer to an airtight container. It can be stored for up to one week at room temperature. (It never lasts that long!)
Serving: Serve in a large bowl for all to enjoy or you can package in cute little festive cups for individual use.
- Serving Size: 1/2 Cup
- Calories: 231
- Sugar: 22
- Sodium: 140.4
- Fat: 10
- Carbohydrates: 34.4
- Protein: 3.4
- Cholesterol: 6.8
Keywords: puppy chow, muddy buddies