Easy rhubarb cake recipe with a crumbly pecan topping!
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb
- 2/3 cup + 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup softened butter + 1/2 cup hard butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Rinse your rhubarb stalks with water, chop up two cups and set aside.
- Using a mixer, cream together 2/3 cup dark brown sugar, ½ cup softened butter, 1 egg and 1 cup sour cream.
- Next, stir together 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 t. baking soda and ½ t. salt in separate bowl and add this slowly to the creamed mixture just until it is all incorporated.
- Fold in your two cups of chopped rhubarb by hand.
- Spread the rhubarb filled batter into a greased 13×9 pan.
- In another bowl, combine an additional ½ cup dark brown sugar, 1 cup rolled oats, 1 cup chopped pecans, 1 t. cinnamon and ¼ tsp. grated or ground nutmeg.
- With a pastry blender, cut in ½ cup of cold butter until you have a crumble.
- Spread the crumble on top of the batter and gently press it down before putting it into the oven.
- Bake the cake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes clean.
- Remove the cake and let it cool a bit before slicing.
- Serve with real whipped cream.
If you are afraid that your pecans are getting too dark while baking, put foil over the top for the last 10 minutes.
- Category: dessert
- Cuisine: North American
Keywords: rhubarb cake, easy rhubarb cake recipe