From scratch, sausage biscuits and gravy are one of the best breakfast recipes around! Flaky homemade biscuits are smothered in a rich and flavorful gravy made with very few ingredients that you probably already have on hand!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter, cold
- 3/4 cup milk
- 16 oz pork sausage
- 4 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 Cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Combine dry ingredients in bowl.
- Cut in the cold butter until resembles small peas.
- Slowly add ¾ Cup of milk and mix with fork until dough is just slightly sticky. Use more milk if needed.
- Remove dough from bowl and fold over 10 times on floured surface.
- Flatten the the dough using hands until about 1 inch thick. Cut biscuits using biscuit cutter.
- Place biscuits on un-greased dark baking pan. Bake for 12 – 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cook sausage in saucepan over medium-high higher. Crumble as it cooks until no pink remains. (Do not drain.)
- Add flour to the cooked sausage crumbles and mix until the flour is absorbed. Slowly pour the milk over the flour and sausage. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Simmer on low until gravy is thickened. (Make sure to not boil as the milk can overflow the pan.)
Slice biscuits in half and spread sausage gravy all over them.
Spicy: If you like your gravy a little spicier, you can use spicy pork sausage or add red pepper flakes to the gravy as you make it.
Venison or Turkey Sausage: If using venison sausage or turkey sausage, add 2 Tablespoons of butter to the cooked sausage before adding the flour. Leaner meats will need the added fat to create the thickness you desire.
Storing Leftovers: Store leftovers, once cool, in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Freezing: Using whole milk allows you to freeze this recipe! After cooling, store in an airtight container for up to 3 months—thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
How to Reheat: If you are ready to reheat your leftovers, add to a small stockpot and heat slowly over low, stirring constantly. You can also reheat using your microwave oven.
- Serving Size: 1 Biscuits with Gravy
- Calories: 541
- Sugar: 12.1
- Sodium: 1076.5
- Fat: 26.2
- Carbohydrates: 48.9
- Protein: 26.5
- Cholesterol: 105.2
Keywords: sausage biscuits and gravy