This recipe is comfort food at its finest! A rich and delicious beefy layer with sauteed vegetables and onions is topped with homemade creamy mashed potatoes to create Shepard’s pie!
- 3–4 medium-sized potatoes
- 4 Tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 Cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 Cup all-purpose flour
- 14 1/2 oz beef broth
- 2 Cups frozen mixed vegetables
- Preheat oven to 400˚ F.
- Cut 4-5 medium sized potatoes into bite size pieces. Add to stockpot and cover with water. Bring to boil and cook potatoes until fork tender. Drain the water. To the potatoes add the milk, 2 Tablespoons butter and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Mash until desired consistency. Add more milk, butter or salt to taste.
- While the potatoes are cooking, brown the ground beef and cook thoroughly over medium heat in a skillet. Drain the fat. Place ground beef to the side.
- In the same skillet pan over medium heat, add 2 Tablespoons of butter and let melt. Saute onions and garlic until onions are translucent. Whisk in flour, Italian seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Add the beef broth and bring to a simmer stirring for approximately 10 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Add the ground beef and vegetables to the thickened broth. Transfer to 11×7 inch pan. Then top with mashed potatoes.
- Bake in a preheated 400˚ F oven for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Serve warm.
Season the Mashed Potatoes: The mashed potatoes will be the same after you mash them and put them into the casserole. If you like them more buttery, add more butter. If you like them chunky, do so! Taste the mash potatoes before adding to casserole.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of Casserole
- Calories: 270
- Sugar: 3
- Sodium: 615
- Fat: 10.2
- Carbohydrates: 24
- Protein: 20.4
- Cholesterol: 65.8
Keywords: Shepherd' pie