Simple coconut rice makes a delicious and unique side dish that’s the perfect pair for your main course.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 Cups long-grain white rice
- 1 –14 oz. can unsweetened coconut cream (can sub coconut milk)
- 2 Cups quality chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- juice from 1/2 lime
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Cup unsweetened toasted coconut (optional)
- Open a can of coconut cream or coconut milk and add just enough water to make 2 cups. In a large stockpot, heat together the olive oil and butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the dry rice and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the 2 cups of coconut cream or milk and all other remaining ingredients to the pot (except for the shredded coconut) and bring it all to a boil.
- Once it boils, reduce the heat to low and cover. Simmer the rice for 22 minutes.
- Stir in the toasted coconut, or add in other desired mix-ins!
After cooking, add in other mix-ins like fresh chopped mango, peppers, spring onions, or soy sauce for more Asian flavor.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/2 Cup
- Calories: 326
- Sugar: 2.6
- Sodium: 426.8
- Fat: 6.9
- Carbohydrates: 22
- Protein: 4.7
- Cholesterol: 7.5
Keywords: coconut rice