This French Bread Garlic Bread recipe is a family favorite, turning a simple loaf of French bread into a savory, buttery side dish that’s a perfect match for your dinner. The best part? You can achieve this with just three ingredients (and the French bread) and 15 minutes in the oven!
This garlic bread recipe takes a fresh loaf of French bread and transforms it into a buttery, garlicky, and oh-so-delicious side dish that’s perfect for any meal. I love serving it alongside lasagna. Plus, it’s incredibly easy to make, which is always a bonus in my book.
And if you’re a fan of this recipe, you’re going to love some of my other bread recipes, like my dinner roll recipe or my pull apart garlic bread. They’re all packed with amazing flavors and are sure to be a hit at your next gathering.
This recipe is one of those recipes that our family discovered by trial and error when French bread was in the house. I like purchasing French bread from the discount rack at our grocery store. When I do, this is my go-to recipe to freshen it up a bit and make it buttery and delicious.
Table of Contents
Why I Love This Recipe
- Quick and Easy: This recipe is incredibly easy to make. With just a few simple steps, you’ll have a delicious side dish ready in 20 minutes!
- Perfect Textures: I love this garlic bread because it’s crunchy on the outside but super moist and soft on the inside where the butter is.
- Classic Flavors: The combination of butter, garlic, and parsley gives this garlic bread a timeless, irresistible flavor that pairs perfectly with any meal.
- Freshen up the Bread: If you have a few days old French bread, or it’s bought at the discount rack at your grocery store, the butter combined with the oven brings the bread back to a fresh-tasting side.
- Comfort Food: There’s something incredibly comforting about warm, buttery garlic bread. It’s the perfect side dish to cozy up with on a chilly evening.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I'll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
- French Bread: This will be the base of our garlic bread, providing a sturdy yet soft texture that’s perfect for soaking up the butter and garlic flavors.
- Butter: The key to achieving that rich, golden brown crust on your garlic bread. It will also give your bread a delicious buttery flavor.
- Parsley Flakes: These will add a pop of color and a subtle, herby flavor to your garlic bread.
- Garlic Powder: This is where your garlic flavor will come from. It will infuse your bread with a delicious, savory kick.
- Bread Knife – This is essential for cutting your French bread into slices without going all the way through the loaf.
- Small Bowl – This is where you’ll mix your butter, parsley, and garlic powder to create a flavorful spread for your garlic bread.
How to Make French Bread Garlic Bread
Start by preheating your oven to 425˚ F. This will ensure it’s nice and hot when you’re ready to bake your garlic bread.
Step 1 – Prepare the Bread
Next, it’s time to get your French bread ready. Using a sharp knife, cut the bread into slices, but be careful not to go all the way to the bottom of the loaf. You want the slices to stay connected at the base.
Step 2 – Add the Butter Mixture
Now, take your butter, parsley, and garlic powder mixture and spread it onto each slice of the bread. This is where the magic happens – the butter will melt in the oven, infusing the bread with a delicious garlic flavor.
Step 3 – Bake the Bread
Once your bread is all buttered up, it’s time to bake. Wrap the loaf in foil and place it in the oven. Bake for 12 – 15 minutes, until the bread is golden brown and toasty.
Step 4 – Serve the Garlic Bread
Once your garlic bread is out of the oven and beautifully golden brown, it’s ready to serve. This homemade garlic bread is the perfect side dish for spaghetti pie or any Italian meal. Enjoy!
When slicing the French bread for your homemade garlic bread, make sure to stop just above the bottom crust. This will keep the butter contained and make it easy to separate the slices once they are baked, resulting in a perfect side dish.
- Cheesy Garlic Bread: Follow the instructions for the homemade garlic bread, but sprinkle mozzarella cheese or parmesan cheese on top of the butter mixture before wrapping the bread in foil. This variation adds a cheesy element to the classic recipe and enhances the garlic flavor.
- Herb-Infused Garlic Bread: Add herbs like oregano, thyme, or rosemary to the butter mixture before spreading it onto the French bread. The addition of herbs will give your homemade garlic bread a unique twist and complement the flavors in your soup or stew.
- Extra-Crispy Garlic Bread: After baking the bread as directed, unwrap it and return it to the oven for an additional 5 minutes. This will give the bread a golden brown, crispy finish that’s perfect for dipping into your favorite soup or chili.
What to Serve With
- Looking for a comforting meal? Pair this homemade garlic bread with lasagna, ravioli casserole, or a hearty ground beef casserole. The rich, robust flavors of these dishes are perfectly complemented by the garlic bread.
- For an Italian-inspired dinner, serve this garlic bread alongside chicken parmesan or eggplant pasta. The garlic flavor in the bread enhances the Italian flavors of these main dishes, making for a truly satisfying meal.
- If you’re in the mood for a cozy, winter meal, try serving this garlic bread with a bowl of tomato soup, turkey chili, or stuffed pepper soup. The warm, comforting flavors of the soup are beautifully balanced by the garlic bread, making it the perfect side dish.
For the best results, use a loaf of French loaf or a baguette. These types of bread have a firm, crunchy crust and a soft, chewy interior, which is perfect for holding the butter and garlic flavor.
Absolutely! Feel free to customize the butter mixture with your favorite herbs and spices. You can also sprinkle some mozzarella or parmesan cheese on top of the butter before baking for a cheesy garlic bread twist.
The garlic bread is done when it’s golden brown, and the butter mixture is bubbling. This usually takes about 12-15 minutes in a preheated oven at 425°F.
Storing and Reheating
- Refrigerate: If you have leftovers of your homemade garlic bread, store them in the fridge. Once the bread has cooled, place it in an airtight container or cover it in foil or plastic wrap. It can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days.
- Freeze: Unfortunately, this cheesy garlic bread doesn’t freeze well. The texture of the bread can become soggy when thawed, which may not give you the same golden brown, crispy result you love.
- Reheat Instructions: When you’re ready to enjoy your garlic bread again, preheat your oven to 350°F. Place the refrigerated bread on a baking sheet and warm it in the oven for about 10-15 minutes, or until it’s heated through. This will help maintain that perfect golden brown color and the garlic flavor.
- What to Expect: This French Bread Garlic Bread recipe yields a delicious side dish for 12 servings.
- How to Scale: If you’re hosting a larger gathering and want more than 12 servings, you can easily double the recipe. Just make sure to use a larger bowl to mix the butter, parsley, and garlic powder, and use two bread loaves. Follow the rest of the instructions as directed, and you’ll have a larger batch of this perfect side dish in no time.
French Bread Garlic Bread
- 1 loaf french bread
- 4 Tablespoons butter melted or softened
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 425˚ F.
- Mix butter, parsley and garlic powder in small bowl.
- Cut bread into 3/4 inch slices without going all the way to the bottom of the loaf.
- Spread the butter mixture onto each slice of the bread.
- Wrap in foil and bake for 12 – 15 minutes.
This recipe was originally shared in August 2015. It has been updated with pictures and the butter sauce has been slightly altered.