This is by far the best simple macaroni salad you will ever have the pleasure of eating. Crisp vegetables in a creamy sauce make this recipe one of our favorite old fashioned summertime side dishes.
Are you looking for a simple Macaroni recipe? While I love macaroni casserole, sometimes you need a fresh and more chilled recipe depending on the season.Well I have one! Here’s why I find this to be the best recipe out there:
- It’s super creamy. I like my macaroni salad on the creamier side and even the day after making it, it keeps it creamy-ness.
- It’s super easy to pull it all together.
- It’s best the second day! I highly recommend making this recipe the day before you need to serve it. The homemade sauce get thicker and makes the perfect base for this crunchy macaroni salad.
How to Make Macaroni Salad
Chop up the red onions, celery, red pepper and green pepper. While you’re chopping you can boil the elbow macaroni until it’s fully cooked.
Combine all chopped vegetables and cooled macaroni in a bowl and let sit for 10 minutes. I like to let the flavors of the vegetables soak into the macaroni before I add the creamy homemade sauce. This step is similar to what I do with the homemade potato salad recipe.
Combine the sauce ingredients in a large bowl and add to the chopped vegetables and cooled macaroni.
This recipe could not be creamier! After a full day in the refrigerator, the homemade sauce gets thicker but keeps it creamy-ness. This simple macaroni salad is now one of my favorites. Enjoy!
More Side Dishes
Simple Macaroni Recipe
- 8 oz macaroni fully cooked and cooled
- 1/2 green pepper chopped
- 4 celery stalks chopped
- 1/2 red pepper chopped
- 1/2 small red onion chopped
- 1 Cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- Boil the macaroni. Let cool.
- Chop the vegetables and place in large bowl. Add cooled macaroni and let sit for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Combine with vegetables and macaroni.
- Refrigerate overnight and serve chilled.
This recipe was originally published March, 2015. It has been updated to better the recipe for you!