Sliced Coconut Cookie Recipe
I don’t like coconut. I never have and I probably never will. But I have to say, I do like this coconut cookie recipe. It has a sweetness about it that almost resembles a sugar cookie, yet it has a depth to it that I must equate to the coconut. I’m always looking for a great cookie recipe that can be made and then put into the freezer. This one is perfect for that. You can make this cookie a week before Christmas and then slice and bake it when you are ready.
To make this coconut cookie recipe you will need regular ingredients for baking that include all-purpose flour, baking soda, shortening, sugar, salt, vanilla extract, an egg and of course sweetened flaked coconut.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and the baking soda. Using your mixer at medium speed, mix the shortening, sugar, salt, vanilla and egg until well blended. Stir in the flour mixture, followed by the coconut.
The following day, take a sharp knife and slice the frozen dough into 1/8 inch slices. Bake on a greased cookie sheet for 6 – 8 minutes in a preheated oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Crispy on the outside, yet chewy on the inside – with a coconut twist.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg, unbeaten
- 1 cup flaked, sweetened coconut
- Day Before:
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour and baking soda
- Using your mixer at medium speed, mix the shortening, sugar, salt, vanilla and egg until blended.
- Stir in the flour mixture, followed by the coconut.
- Shape the dough into a 2″ roll. Wrap it in waxed paper and freeze.
- To Bake:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- With a sharp knife, slice frozen dough into 1/8 inch slices.
- Bake on greased cookie sheet for 6-8 minutes or until edges or golden brown.
You may also want to try this Gingerbread Cookie Recipe!