Slow cooker vegetable barley soup made with nine vegetables and pearl barley.
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/2 cup frozen sweet corn
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 – 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. Hungarian paprika
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. dried dill weed
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup pearl barley, rinsed and drained
- Saute 1 bunch of chopped green onions, 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper and 3 cloves of minced garlic in 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- In your slow cooker, add the sautéed vegetables, 1 cup each of fresh chopped carrots, celery, broccoli and zucchini, 1/2 cup each of frozen sweet corn and peas and one 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes.
- Pour over 6 cups of good quality vegetable broth and stir it all together.
- Add 1 tsp. Hungarian paprika, 1 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. dried dill weed, 1/4 tsp. pepper and 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley.
- Stir it all together and cook on HIGH for 3 hours or LOW for 6 hours.
- Rinse 1/2 cup of pearl barley under water and drain. Add the rinsed pearls to your slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 1 additional hour or LOW for 2 additional hours.