Slow cooker venison stew made with tender cuts of venison steak, fresh vegetables and herbs in a rich and flavorful red wine broth. This easy venison recipe is the perfect comfort food for dinner.
- 2 lb. venison bone-in steak
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 4 Tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped white and green onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups chopped golden potatoes
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 – 6oz. can tomato paste
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Chop the venison into chunks and stir them into a bowl with the flour, 1 tsp. of salt, and cracked black pepper.
- In a stockpot or cast-iron pan, melt 3 T. of butter using medium-high heat and brown the cuts of steak on both sides until they are seared, and you have bits of browned meat on the bottom of the pan (2 minutes each side).
- Place the browned meat into your slow cooker and melt the remaining 1 T. of butter into the pan. Sauté the onions, mushrooms and garlic for a few minutes while stirring occasionally. Then add them to your slow cooker as well.
- With the heat still on, pour one cup of dry red wine into the pan and whisk quickly to gather up any browned bits. Allow the wine to reduce for a few minutes on medium heat.
- Add the carrots, potatoes and celery to the slow cooker along with the herbs, tomato paste, stock, water, remaining ¼ tsp. salt, and reduced red wine.
- Give it all a stir and set the slow cooker for 8 hours on LOW heat.
This stew can also be cooked in the oven. Set the oven temperature to 225 degrees and using a covered stockpot, cook the stew for 8 hours.
- Category: Venison Recipes
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: slow cooker venison stew, crockpot venison stew, venison stew recipe, venison slow cooker