Make a moist and tender venison backstrap using these specific instructions whether you’re using your smoker an oven.
- 1.5 – 2 pounds venison backstrap (or tenderloin), fresh or thawed
- 5 oz. thick cut bacon
- 1 teaspoon of celery salt
- 1 teaspoon of garlic salt
- 2 teaspoon of Spanish paprika
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon of brown sugar
- Trim off any excess silver “skin” on the backstrap. Season all sides of the meat with the salts, paprika, onion powder and brown sugar. Rest the meat for at least a couple of hours in the refrigerator.
- Before cooking, halve your bacon and place the strips on top of the tenderloin using toothpicks pieces.
- Set your smoker (or oven) temperature to 225 degrees and place your tenderloin in the center.
- After the first 45 minutes of cooking, check your internal temperature. Check again every 15 to 30 minutes until you reach the desired internal temperature of 140-145 degrees. (You”ll want to check the temperature every 5 minutes when you’re getting close to temperature.) When at temperature, remove the backstrap from the grill promptly. Wrap the tenderloin in tin foil and place it in a closed empty cooler for 30 minutes. After the meat has rested, you’re ready to slice and enjoy!
- Category: Venison
- Method: Smoker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: smoked venison backstrap recipe, smoked venison