Old fashioned strawberry rhubarb pie made with a homemade pie filling and lattice pie crust.
- homemade pie crust
- 2 pints ripe strawberries
- 1 1/4 pounds rhubarb
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 heaping tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- cream and course sugar (optional)
- Make or purchase a pie crust – enough for a bottom and top crust.
- Divide the dough into two balls; one ball slightly bigger than the other. Flatten the balls into discs and refrigerate them for at least 30 minutes.
- Hull and Slice the strawberries. Remove the green leaves and slice the rhubarb into 1/2 inch pieces. Combine the rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, vanilla and lemon juice in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Preheat your oven to 425˚ F.
- Remove the dough discs from the refrigerator and roll the larger one out into a 12 inch circle. Gently press the circle into a 9-10 inch pie plate and tuck in the edges instead of trimming them. Set aside.
- Roll out the smaller disc into an 11 inch circle and cut 1 inch strips with a knife or decorative cutter. Set aside.
- Spread your strawberry rhubarb filling into the bottom crust.
- Place six dough strips horizontally across the pie, about ¾ inches apart. Working from the right side, peel back strips 1,3 and 5 and place a new strip vertically across the pie on the far right side. Lay the peeled strips back over, covering the vertical strip. Next, again working from the right, peel back strips 2, 4 and 6 and place a new strip vertically across the pie next to the other vertical one. Lay the peeled strips back over. Repeat this process twice, working your way right to left. Tuck in the edges of the lattice into the folded edge of the pie.
- Brush the top of the pie crust with cream and sprinkle with coarse sugar (optional)
- Bake the pie on the center rack for 20 minutes at 425˚F.
- Decrease the temperature to 375˚ F and bake an additional 50 minutes.
- Cool completely before cutting. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
Place a large cookie sheet on the bottom rack in your oven to collect any juices that might spill over.
- Category: Pie
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: strawberry rhubarb pie, strawberry rhubarb pie filling