This taco casserole is the perfect weeknight dinner with it’s tender ground beef and your favorite toppings on a homemade biscuit base. Top with shredded cheese and Doritos! Makes great leftovers, too!
I was looking for a good casserole to get those delicious taco flavors without having our typical taco night. This recipe looked unique to me out of my Amish cookbook so I thought I would give it a try!
- Typical Taco Ingredients – This recipe uses ingredients you probably already use with your regular taco night. It is fully customizable based on your family’s needs.
- Homemade Crust – A lot of other recipes I found in the cookbook used a ready made crust and I like cooking from scratch when I can. It guarantees I have the ingredients.
- Loaded with Flavor – This recipe is absolutely delicious and loaded with flavor!
Taco Casserole Ingredients
Here’s a list of ingredients you have to have for this recipe and options for toppings.
Crust Ingredients (Required)
- All-Purpose Flour – Make sure to scoop the flour into the measuring cup and level to get an accurate measurement.
- Salt – This ingredient really helps to bring out the flavor.
- Baking Powder – Check the label and make sure you’re using baking powder – and not soda.
- Butter – The butter should be cold to help get that flaky base layer of the casserole.
- Milk – Like the butter, you want your milk to be cold to help assist with the flakiness while it bakes.
Filling Ingredients (Adaptable)
- Ground Beef – You could also use ground venison or ground turkey in this recipe. Make sure to fully cook the ground beef.
- Taco Seasoning – I like to use homemade, but any favorite taco seasoning will work.
- Sour Cream – I personally love sour cream and the creaminess it adds to this recipe.
- Onion, Bell Peppers, Tomatoes – Use your favorite taco toppings! Other ideas are to include corn, black beans, green onions, and black olives. A little cilantro mixed in with be delicious as well!
- Shredded Doritos – This adds a bit of crunch to the top! Regular tortilla chips would work as well.
- Shredded Cheese – I like to shred my own cheese to get the more creamy texture.
- Avocado, Salsa and Lettuce – This would be delicious served alongside these ingredients!
How to Make Taco Casserole
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350˚ F. Lightly grease an 8×8 squaring baking casserole dish.
- Crust Instructions: Combine flour, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl. Cut in the cold butter. Add the milk and stir. Spread into the greased baking dish and bake for 15-20 or until the top is golden brown.
- Filling Instructions: As the bottom crust is baking, brown, and fully cooked the ground beef over medium-high heat. Drain the ground beef. Add taco seasoning to the ground beef according to the instructions. Let simmer until the crust is finished. When the crust is removed from the oven, top with the sour cream.. Then top with the cooked ground beef mixture that has been seasoned. Spread onions, peppers, tomatoes, and any other taco toppings.
- Topping Instructions: Add crushed Doritos, chips, and cheese. Bake for 10 minutes longer. Serve immediately.
Make Ahead: Make as directed except do not add the chips and cheese to the top. Refrigerate covered for up to 2 days. When ready to serve, preheat the oven and add the chips and cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until completely warmed through.
Leftovers and Storage: This recipe is best made fresh. Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Leftovers can be frozen and stores for up to 3 months.
Using Homemade Taco Seasoning: When using homemade, add 1/4 cup water to the cooked ground beef. Simmer until water is evaporated.
Double The Recipe: Double all ingredients and use a 9×13 baking pan. Increase baking baking time of bottom crust by 5-10 minutes.
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 Cup cold butter
- 3/4 Cup cold milk
- 1/2 Cup sour cream
- 1 pound hamburger
- 2 Tablespoons taco seasoning more to taste
- 1 Tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 Cup chopped peppers
- 1 1/2 Cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 Cup crushed Doritos
- 1 Cup shredded cheese
- Prep: Preheat oven to 350˚ F and lightly grease a square baking pan.
- Combine flour, salt and baking powder in a large bowl. Cut in the cold butter. Stir in the milk. Spread into baking pan and bake for 15-20 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- In a small bowl, combine the salad dressing and sour cream.
- Brown the ground beef or until fully cooked. Add the taco seasoning.
- Layer the following on top of the baked crust:Sour CreamCooked and Seasoned Ground BeefOnions, Peppers, Tomatoes Chopped DoritosCheese
- Bake for an additional 10 minutes or until the cheese is fully melted.