Texas brownies are a simple dessert recipe that is easy to prepare using a sheet pan. These feed a crowd, so they’re perfect to bring along to a potluck.
- 2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Cups granulated sugar
- 1 Cup butter
- 1 Cup strong brewed coffee (or water)
- 1/4 Cup dark, unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 Cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 Cup butter
- 2 Tablespoons dark unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 Cup milk
- 3 1/2 Cup unsifted powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
To make the brownies:
- Combine the flour and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- In a saucepan, combine the butter, coffee, and cocoa and bring to boil while stirring. Pour the boiling mixture over the flour and sugar. Add the buttermilk, eggs, baking soda and vanilla. Mix well on high speed with a hand held or electric mixer.
- Pour into well-buttered 17.5×11 inch jelly roll sheet pan. Bake at 400˚F for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
To make the frosting:
- In a saucepan, combine the butter, cocoa, and milk. Heat to boiling while stirring.
- Mix in the powdered sugar and vanilla until the frosting is smooth.
- Pour the warm frosting over the brownies as soon as you remove them from the oven.
Let the Texas brownies cool in the pan and then slice into 48 brownie squares.
No buttermilk? If you don’t have buttermilk on hand you can mix 2 teaspoons of white vinegar or lemon juice with 1/2 milk.
Coffee Substitution: You can substitute water for the coffee in this recipe. However, I highly recommend the coffee to add to the depth of flavor. If you don’t want the caffeine use decaf.
How to store: After letting the brownies cool, store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
How to freeze: Once cooled, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Ovven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 48
- Calories: 143
- Sugar: 17.1
- Sodium: 33.8
- Fat: 6.2
- Carbohydrates: 21.7
- Protein: 1.1
- Cholesterol: 23.3
Keywords: texas brownies, frosted brownies, sheet pan brownies