Easy homemade gingerbread cookies recipe that makes the best soft cookie! Packed with flavor, these gingerbread cookies need no icing!
Gingerbread Cookies Recipe
This gingerbread cookies recipe is a classic and one of the best cookies. The combination of ginger and molasses has spiced and flavored desserts for centuries. Perhaps the most well know form of gingerbread is in the shape of a man. Have you heard of the Gingerbread Man? “Run, run as fast as you can, you can’t catch me, I’m the Gingerbread Man!” That poem inspired me to share with you what I believe is the Best Gingerbread Cookie Recipe. I created this recipe by merging my favorite sugar cookie cut-outs with an all-time favorite molasses cookie that won first place at the Sandusky County fair this year.
How to Make The Best Gingerbread Cookies (VIDEO)
This gingerbread cookies recipe does not produce your typical snappy crunch gingerbread that makes for sturdy walls in a decorated house. Instead, they are slightly crunchy on the outside and soft and moist on the inside – just as I prefer. The spice is there, but not overpowering. My kids love them! They are also not overly sweet, so icing would pair nicely. The most unique thing about these cookies? Absolutely no butter or shortening needed. The secret is in the unique blending of canola oil and blackstrap molasses.
Come on in to my kitchen!
What Ingredients Are In the Best Gingerbread Cookies?
These cookies are rather simple – only 10 ingredients.
- dark brown sugar
- baking soda
- canola oil
- and the oh so important blackstrap molasses.
Blackstrap has a stronger flavor than regular unsulfured molasses. No shortcuts here. If you can’t find it at your grocery store, Amazon sells it for an inexpensive $.50/ounce. What doesn’t Amazon sell?! (You can purchase this molasses here.)
How To Make Easy Gingerbread Cookies
Start by mixing 2/3 cup canola oil, 1 cup dark brown sugar and 1/4 cup blackstrap molasses. Since there is no butter or shortening, we are not creaming here. The consistency will be like shiny, wet sugar. Next, using the mixer, mix in your eggs, one at time to the wet oil and sugar mixture. You will begin to see a smooth batter emerge.
Next, whisk together 3 cups all-purpose flour, 2 tsp. cinnamon, 2 tsp. ground ginger, 1 tsp. ground cloves, 1 tsp. baking soda and 1/2 tsp. salt. Add this flour mixture to the batter and stir well.
Even after the dough has been mixed, it will be quite sticky. Heap it out onto a heavily floured surface and knead it with your hands, adding more flour a little at a time until it is no longer sticky. This is my favorite part about making these cookies – it’s almost as if you are making bread!
Refrigerate the dough in plastic wrap for at least 3 hours or overnight.
When ready, roll the cold dough 1/4 inch thick on a floured surface and cut out your gingerbread men. Place the men on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
Bake the men in a preheated 350 degree oven for 8 minutes or until they are puffed up and showing tiny cracks at the surface. Allow them to cool for a few minutes before removing them to a cooling rack.
Do You Decorate Soft Gingerbread Cookies?
For quick decoration, I like to sprinkle mine with a little powdered sugar while they are still warm. You can also spread them with your favorite vanilla icing… or just leave them plain. The flavor and texture of these gingerbread cookies will speak for themselves!
Oops. Looks like I caught the Gingerbread Man (and his head) before he ran away 🙂
More Best Cookies For Christmas
- How To Make The Best Sugar Cookie : Easy Sugar Cookies Recipe
- Lemon Tea Cookie Recipe
- Grandma’s Brickle Cookies
- Honey Cut-Out Cookies with Honey Icing
- Peanut Butter No Bake Oatmeal Cookies
The Best Gingerbread Cookies Recipe
Make the best gingerbread cookie with this recipe that makes a soft and chewy gingerbread man.
- Prep Time: 3 hours 20 mins
- Cook Time: 8 mins
- Total Time: 3 hours 28 minutes
- Yield: 24 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: american
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Whisk together the flour, spices, soda and salt. Set aside.
- Using a mixer, mix the oil, molasses and brown sugar together. Then, using the same wet bowl, mix in the eggs, one at a time.
- Next, slowly stir in your bowl of flour mixture into the mixer bowl of wet ingredients.
- The dough will still be quite sticky. Place the dough onto a heavily floured surface and with floured hands, work in more flour with your hands until the dough is no longer sticky.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350˚ F. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough 1/4 inch thick and cut out! Bake for 8 minutes on un-greased cookie sheets until “cracked.” Let cool for 2 minutes before removing.
Keywords: easy gingerbread cookie recipe, soft gingerbread cookie recipe, best gingerbread cookies