Creamy cold spinach dip recipe made with water chestnuts, greek yogurt and parmesan cheese. This is the best appetizer recipe the whole crowd will love with it’s combination of creaminess and texture.
Table of Contents
Cold Spinach Dip Recipe
This gal loves a good spinach dip! There are many recipes out there, but to me, this one is the BEST. I created this recipe because although there isn’t a spinach dip I don’t like, none of them were the ultimate. Some were not quite creamy enough and others were lacking a bit in texture or flavor.
Just one afternoon in the kitchen with a little of this and a little of that produced what I believe to be the BEST spinach dip out there. Sour cream, Greek yogurt and mayonnaise make it triple creamy. Shredded carrots and water chestnuts give it texture and the flavor is bursting with fresh chives, fresh lemon juice, parmesan cheese and of course, a good helping of garlic. Oh… my… The only thing lacking with this dip is self control!
The Best Spinach Dip
Unlike a baked hot dip with tortilla chips, this spinach dip is served cold with crisp bread or crackers. Simply mix the ingredients together and chill. The longer it is chilled, the richer the flavor, so it is a great make ahead appetizer for your summer cookout this weekend.
Are you ready to make the best spinach dip recipe with me?
Come on in to my kitchen!
Cold Spinach Dip Ingredients
Of course, spinach dip isn’t a spinach dip without spinach so you will need one 10 oz. box of frozen chopped spinach. You will also need grated parmesan cheese, sour cream, one 7 oz. container of plain full fat Greek yogurt, quality mayonnaise, one 4 oz. can of sliced water chestnuts (or half of an 8 oz. can) Worcestershire sauce, salt, cracked black pepper, two garlic cloves, fresh lemon juice, fresh chives and fresh shredded carrot.
How to Make Cold Spinach Dip
Defrost: Defrost your box of spinach overnight in the refrigerator or do a quick thaw using the microwave. Drain out as much of the water from the spinach as you can.
Combine: In a large bowl, add your drained spinach, parmesan cheese, sour cream, container of Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, chopped sliced water chestnuts, chopped garlic cloves, shredded carrot, fresh chives, salt, lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce and finally, some cracked black pepper.
(Note: This recipe is not shy of garlic, so if you’re concerned about kissing your spouse tonight, use just one clove 🙂
Stir: Using a large spoon, stir all the ingredients together until a creamy, spinach-y, yummy dip is formed. Steal a taste (It’s inevitable!) and then cover and chill until ready to serve.
Spread it, dip into it, top with it or eat it with a spoon. This is the BEST spinach dip from this side of the world. And because it’s a cold spinach dip, you can easily make it ahead and let the flavors come together.
Spinach Dip Tips
How long will homemade spinach dip last? You can store it in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.
What chips go best with spinach dip? We prefer salty tortilla chips or little mini toasts.
Can leftover spinach dip be frozen? Yes, however the texture may change. We don’t recommend freezing it but enjoying it all fresh.
Can I make ahead this dip before serving? Yes. In fact, we recommend it. A little time in the refrigerator helps the flavors come together.
More Dip Recipes
The Best Spinach Dip Recipe
- 10 oz box of frozen spinach defrosted and drained
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 7 oz container of Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup quality mayonnaise
- 4 oz sliced water chestnuts chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup fresh chives chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon Cracked black pepper
- Defrost your box of spinach overnight in the refrigerator or do a quick thaw using the microwave.
- Drain out as much of the water from the spinach as you can.
- In a large bowl, add your drained spinach, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup sour cream, 7 oz. container of Greek yogurt, 3/4 cup mayonnaise, chopped 4 oz. can of sliced water chestnuts, two chopped garlic cloves, 1/2 cup shredded carrot, 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives, 1 tsp. each of salt, lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce and some cracked black pepper to taste.
- Stir all the ingredients together. Cover and chill until ready to serve.