Combine chocolate, pecans, and a simple homemade caramel sauce over a shortbread base to get these delicious turtle cookie bars! These are packed with flavor and easy to make in your 9×13 pan!
With a busy schedule in December, a good unique cookie bar to include on your cookie tray is a must. They are faster to make than your typical cookie which takes multiple batches in the oven. And because this one packs the turtle flavor – you’ll have everyone going back for more!
I found this recipe in my grandma’s recipe box. (Surprise. Surprise.). I’ve always loved turtle cookies so I had to give this one a try.
How to Make Turtle Cookies
- In a bowl, combine flour, packed brown sugar, and softened butter. Pack it into the 9×13 pan to form the crust.
- Sprinkle pecans over the crust layer.
- Make the caramel layer by combining brown sugar and butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stirring constantly, bring to a rolling boil. Let boil for one minute, stirring constantly. Pour over the pecans.
- Bake in a 350˚ F oven for 18-22 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle with chocolate chips. Let melt and swirl for the marble effect.
- Let cool and serve.
These deliciously rich cookie bars will be one your favorites this holiday season. Enjoy!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I'll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
- Make-Ahead and Freeze: This recipe is great when made ahead of time. Make as directed. When fully cool, cut into squares and freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
- Caramel Layer: Make sure the entire surface is boiling before counting to one minute. Also, make sure to stir constantly throughout the entire process.
- Chocolate Chips: Don’t spread the chocolate chips when melted. Instead, swirl them with a knife or toothpick so you can see both the caramel and the chocolate.
More Cookie Bar Recipes
Butter Pecan Turtle Cookie Bars
- 2 Cups all-purpose Flour
- 1 Cup light brown sugar firmly packed
- 1/2 Cup salted butter softened
- 2/3 Cup salted butter
- 1/2 Cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 Cup whole pecans
- 1 Cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350˚ F.
- In a bowl, combine flour, 1 cup brown sugar, and 1/2 cup softened butter. Mix at medium speed for 2-3 minutes or until well mixed. Pat firmly into greased 13×9 baking pan. Sprinkle pecans over the crust. Set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan combine 1/2 cup packed brown sugar with 2/3 cup butter. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the entire surface starts to boil. Let boil for 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Pour the caramel mixture evenly over pecans and crust.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes at 350˚ F or until the caramel is bubbly. Remove from oven.
- Immediately sprinkle with chocolate chips. Allow the chips to melt (2-3 minutes) and then swirl into the caramel. Cool completely before serving.