Combine chocolate, pecans, and a simple homemade caramel filling over a shortbread base to get these delicious turtle cookie bars! Packed with flavor and easy to make in your 9×13 pan!
- 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup firmly pack brown sugar
- 1/2 Cup butter, softened
- 2/3 Cup butter
- 1/2 Cup packed brown sugar
- 1 Cup whole pecans
- 1 Cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350˚ F.
- In a bowl, combine flour, 1 cup brown sugar, and 1/2 cup softened butter. Mix at medium speed for 2-3 minutes or until well mixed. Pat firmly into greased 13×9 baking pan. Sprinkle pecans over the crust. Set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan combine 1/2 cup packed brown sugar with 2/3 cup butter. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the entire surface starts to boil. Let boil for 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Pour the caramel mixture evenly over pecans and crust.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes at 350˚ F or until the caramel is bubbly. Remove from oven.
- Immediately sprinkle with chocolate chips. Allow the chips to melt (2-3 minutes) and then swirl into the caramel. Cool completely before serving.
Make-Ahead and Freeze: This recipe is great when made ahead of time. Make as directed. When fully cool, cut into squares and freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Caramel Layer: Make sure the entire surface is boiling before counting to one minute. Also, make sure to stir constantly throughout the entire process.
Chocolate Chips: Don’t spread the chocolate chips when melted. Instead, swirl them with a knife or toothpick so you can see both the caramel and the chocolate.
- Serving Size: 1 square cookie
- Calories: 101
- Sugar: 6
- Sodium: 2.7
- Fat: 6
- Carbohydrates: 11.3
- Protein: .8
- Cholesterol: 15.8
Keywords: butter pecan turtle cookies, turtle cookie bars