On the table in 45 minutes this venison tamale pie seasoned with green chilis, sweet corn and chili powder and is topped with homemade sweet stoneground cornbread biscuits.
- 1 pound ground venison, thawed
- 2 Tablespoons salted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3 Tablespoons chopped green chilis
- 3/4 teaspoon. chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can condensed tomato soup
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup stone ground cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large saucepan, saute the chilis, green pepper and onion in salted butter on medium heat until they are translucent. Add your ground vension and chop the meat well into the pan, cooking through.
- Add 1 can of condensed tomato soup, powders, salt and water. Simmer for 5 minutes on low-medium heat.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, cream together unsalted butter, sugar, sour cream and egg until well mixed. Stir in the flour, stone ground cornmeal, salt and baking soda. Mix well.
- Pour your ground venison sauce mixture into a 3 quart casserole dish or deep dish pie plate. Top with 12 scoops of cornbread mixture.
- Cover the dish with foil for 15 minutes at 425 degrees. Then remove the foil and bake another 15 minutes until the cornbread is golden and baked through.
This dish can be doubled to fit into a 13×9 pan
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: tamale pie, venison tamale pie recipe, cornbread tamale pie