Super simple to make, this white bean chicken chili is made with rotisserie chicken (easy!) and a combination of quality chicken broth, fresh chopped cilantro, lots of garlic and green chilis. Serve with biscuits or bread and a side of fruit for a complete meal.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped white onion
- 2 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 Cup chopped red pepper
- 2 – 15 oz. cans of Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 – 4 oz. can of chopped green chilis, undrained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 4 cups quality chicken broth
- 3 cups chopped rotisserie chicken
- 2 Tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 2 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 cup half and half
- In a large saucepan, sauté the onion, garlic and red pepper on medium heat for about 5 minutes. Next, add in your beans, green chilies, spices, and chicken broth. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- While it’s cooking, juice enough limes to get 2 Tablespoons and measure out 1 cup of half and half.
- Add your fresh chopped cilantro and rotisserie chicken pieces to the soup base. Let that cook for about 5 minutes and then just before serving, stir in your lime juice and half and half. Serve hot.
Slow Cooker Instructions: Sauté the onion, garlic and peppers and put them in the slow cooker. Add all other ingredients except the lime juice and half and half. Cook the soup on LOW for 6-8 hours or HIGH for 4 hours. Just before serving, stir in the fresh lime juice and half and half.
How can I make this soup creamier? This soup is made creamy with half and half, if you want a creamier texture you can add more half and half or let the soup simmer longer. I recommend letting the soup simmer longer.
Can I freeze the leftovers? Yes! This soup recipe freezes well. Once the soup has cooled, place in an airtight container in the freezer for up to three months.
Can I use other beans that great northern? Sure. You can use whatever beans you prefer like kidney beans. We just love the flavor of great northern in this recipe which is why we recommend it.
- Serving Size: 8
- Calories: 277
- Sugar: 4.9
- Sodium: 881.2
- Fat: 6.8
- Carbohydrates: 32
- Protein: 26.3
- Cholesterol: 52.7
Keywords: white bean chicken chili, chicken chili