I’m excited to share with you one of my dad’s favorites that he grew up with. Homemade cherry kuchen is flaky, delicious and tastes like pie without the skills of making a pie crust. I made this after finding the recipe deep in my recipe box from my aunt. It was a surprise for my dad on our family dinner night – and he said it tasted just like he remembered. That’s the best compliment ever!
Are you ready to make some kuchen?
To make this cherry kuchen you will need:
2 TB warm water
1 1/8 tsp yeast
1 TB sugar, divided (1 tsp + 2tsp)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
1 small egg, beaten
1/2 Cup butter
1 Cup flour
Kuchen Filling – Cherry
1 Cup sugar
1/3 Cup flour
2 Cans (15 oz each) pitted, red tart cherries in water, drained
The first thing I did was to drain the cans of red tart cherries. Make sure when you’re purchasing the canned cherries for this recipe that you purchase the pitted cherries in water. You do not want the cherry pie filling. We’re making our own. You can find the pitted cherries with the canned fruits – and not with the baking pie fillings in some grocery stores.
While the cherries are draining, mix the water and yeast together. Add 1 tsp of sugar and mix well. After the mixture has risen for 5 minutes, add the remaining sugar, vanilla, salt and beaten egg.
In a seperate bowl, cut the butter into the flour. I did this step while I waited for the yeast to rise. Add the yeast mixture and mix well. The dough with be soft. Divide it into two balls.
Roll one of the dough balls to fit the bottom half of a 6×10 glass pan. It needs to cover the bottom and half way up the sides.
Now it’s time to make the filling! Take the drained cherries and add the sugar and flour. Toss to fully cover. So pretty!
Add the filling to the pie crust that’s already in your pan.
Roll the top crust (the last dough ball) to make the topper. Cut four slits into the pastry and sprinkle with sugar. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes. You will want to cover the pastry loosely with foil the last 10 – 20 minutes of baking time to avoid the crust getting to dark.
Let it a cool a bit and dig in! The flaky crust and tart cherries are delicious with a cold scoop of ice cream! It’s a unique dessert that….
- Kuchen Pastry
- 2 TB warm water
- 1⅛ tsp yeast
- 1 TB sugar, divided (1 tsp + 2tsp)
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 small egg, beaten
- ½ Cup butter
- 1 Cup flour
- Kuchen Filling - Cherry
- 1 Cup sugar
- ⅓ Cup flour
- 2 Cans (15 oz each) pitted, red tart cherries in water, drained
- Kuchen Pastry
- Mix water and yeast. Add 1 tsp sugar. Mix well. Let mixture rise for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining sugar, vanilla, salt and beaten egg.
- Cut butter into flour in separate bowl. Add yeast mixture and mix well.
- Divide the soft dough into two ball. Roll one ball to fit bottom and half way up the sides of a 6x10 glass pan.
- Make kuchen filling by mixing the flour and sugar. Add the drained cherries and mix well.
- Add the kuchen filling to the dough in the pan. Roll the second ball of dough to fit the top of the kuchen pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees fahrenheit for 45 minutes covering the top loosely with foil during the last 10 - 20 minutes of baking