This Jiffy cornbread casserole recipe is easy to make with the layers of hamburger, cornbread and cheese. Packed with a rich hearty flavor, it’s the perfect weeknight meal.
When I stumbled onto this Jiffy cornbread casserole recipe from my grandma’s recipe box, the first thing that struck me was that she had hand written on the card when she had served this to family. I just love it. Because of that, I knew it would be a great recipe because it had been made multiple times.
Why this ground beef cornbread casserole is the best!
- It can be made from start to finish and on the dinner table in 30 minutes.
- It’s an all in one casserole which means with a side of peas or green beans, dinner is done!
- I love cornbread. I do. And so give me all the cornbread casserole recipe ideas and I will love them all.
How to make cornbread casserole
Step 1: Brown the ground beef with the onion. Drain the fat.
Step 2: To the ground beef and onion add tomato paste, water and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
Step 3: Grease an 8×8 pan and add the ground beef mixture. In a separate bowl combine a package of Jiffy cornbread mix, corn, milk and an egg.
Step 4: Sprinkle with cheese and then cover with the cornbread batter.
Step 5: Bake in a 400˚F preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until the cornbread layer is fully cooked.
Serve this delicious, hearty, and savory casserole with green beans or peas. I loved the combination of the sweetness of the homemade tomato sauce layer with the cornbread. Because as I mentioned, I love all things cornbread. Enjoy!
Jiffy Cornbread Casserole Making Tips
How do you reheat the cornbread casserole? Leftovers can be reheated in the microwave. Fresh is always better, and you’ll lose a bit of the crunchy cornbread topping, but the flavors will still be delicious.
What should I serve with cornbread casserole? I like to serve peas or green beans as a side. It’s good to get a vegetable on the plate. 🙂
Does cornbread casserole need refrigerated? Yes. Put leftovers in the refrigerator until you’re ready to reheat.
More Easy Casserole Recipes
- Homemade Macaroni Casserole
- Hunters Casserole with Ground Venison
- Chicken Enchiladas Casserole
- Cheesy Potato Casserole Recipe
- Shepard’s Pie
Jiffy Cornbread Casserole
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 1 Cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Jiffy cornbread mix
- 1 egg
- 1/3 Cup milk
- 15.25 oz corn drained
- 1 1/2 Cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Brown the ground beef and onion until fully cooked. Drain the fat.
- Add tomato paste, water, salt and pepper to ground beef and onion. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine cornbread mix, egg, milk and corn.
- Grease a 8×8 pan and add the meat mixture. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Cover with cornbread batter.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until cornbread is fully cooked.
Did you create this?
Share it on Instagram and follow us on Pinterest for more Cleverly Simple recipes.
Comments & Reviews
What can you use other than corn
Do you think creamed corn in the mix will be just as good? I’m trying to avoid chunks for my son. 🙂 I figure it will be fine, but I’m excited to try this! Thanks for sharing!
I don’t see why not! This recipe is very adaptable. Enjoy!