Lemon and blueberries make a beautiful pair and with both fruits in abundance this season, I want to share my mouthwatering lemon and blueberry poppy seed bread with a simple lemon glaze. There is no shortage of lemon recipes out there, but when you add in the sweet and sour pop of fresh blueberries, you are on to something really special. It is both sweet and lemon tart and it’s perfect for summer breakfast on the porch or a light dessert after an evening barbecue.
The origins of this recipe come from my vegan friend so there are no eggs involved and your choice of milk. Over the years, I have altered the recipe to our families liking and added things like ground flax and poppy seed. I love poppy seeds, don’t you? Their history goes back to ancient civilization when they were used to calm babies and promote fertility. I find them so interesting! When I see a cake or muffin speckled with poppy seed, I know it has to be good.
Friends, are you ready to make a yummy lemon and blueberry poppy seed bread with me?
Come on in to my kitchen!
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease a standard bread pan. Zest a lemon or two until you get 1 tablespoon of finely grated lemon zest. Then, using the same lemon, squeeze out 3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice.
Now comes my two secret ingredients… 1 Tablespoon of ground flax seed and 1 Tablespoon of poppy seeds. Ground flax adds a nutty flavor to the bread and shall I mention my love for poppy seeds again? I have never come across a poppy seed dish that I didn’t like! Add these seeds into your flour.
Transfer the batter (it will be thick!) into your prepared bread pan. Smooth the top with a spatula and bake for 40-50 minutes or until it is lightly browned and an inserted knife or toothpick comes out clean. Remove the bread from the pan and let it cool completely.
Make a simple lemon glaze by mixing 1 cup + 1 Tablespoon of confectioners’ sugar with 1 Tablespoon of fresh lemon juice. The glaze should be thick enough that it doesn’t drip down to the plate, but stays somewhat suspended on the bread. Test it first and if needed, add a little more sugar or a little more lemon juice if needed.
This delicious lemon blueberry poppy seed bread with lemon glaze is the perfect snack with a cup of coffee or tea.
- 1–2 large lemons
- ½ cup + 3 T. milk
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1 Tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup + 1 T. confectioners sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Zest a lemon or two until you get 1 tablespoon of finely grated lemon zest.
- Using the zested lemon, squeeze 3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice.
- Into your zest and juice mixture, add ½ cup + 3 Tablespoons of milk (any kind), ¼ cup canola oil, 2 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce, 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract and ¾ cup granulated sugar. Stir it all together and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together 2 ½ cups all purpose flour, 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder, ½ teaspoon salt, 1 Tablespoon ground flax seed and 1 Tablespoon of poppy seeds.
- Combine your wet lemon mixture and your flour mixture and stir until combined.
- Fold in 1 cup of fresh blueberries.
- Transfer the batter (it will be thick!) into a greased bread pan and bake for 40-50 minutes until it is lightly browned and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove the bread from the pan and let it cool completely.
- Spread on lemon glaze : 1 cup + 1 Tablespoon of confectioners sugar mixed with 1 Tablespoon of fresh lemon juice.