This past week we started to get back into a normal schedule in our home. I’m not sure really if it’s normal, since it’s new to us in our new home. Whatever it is, it feels good. Part of our new normal is family dinner around the table together each evening. We’ve made a New Year’s resolution out of it. So when I stumbled on the skillet lasagna recipe from Taste of Home’s new cookbook, 100 Family Meals, I knew I had to try it. Faster than regular lasagna and looked just about the same. Let’s just add the fact that my picky youngest is obsessed with lasagna. Winning.
Do you have dinner around the table with your family each night? We had a hard time during the move to make it a priority. It feels so good to start the new year off right with our goal of dinner every night together around our table in the kitchen. The new Taste of Home cookbook is filled with beautiful pictures of meals that are simple to make. In fact, there are 358 recipes to make. I enjoyed looking through the cookbook finding new recipes to add to our menu plan.
One of which, is the lasagna! Are you ready to make some skillet lasagna?
To make this recipe you will need:
¾ pound ground beef
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 can (14-½ ounces) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, undrained
2 jars (14 ounces each) spaghetti sauce
⅔ cup condensed cream of onion soup, undiluted
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1-¼ cups 1% cottage cheese
¾ teaspoon Italian seasoning
9 no-cook lasagna noodles
½ cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
½ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
Brown your ground beef and then add the garlic. Once drained, add the spaghetti sauce and diced tomatoes. Heat through and then transfer to a bowl.
In a separate bowl, combine the soup, eggs, cottage cheese and Italian seasoning.
In a separate bowl combine the soup, eggs, cottage cheese and Italian seasoning.
Return one cup of sauce to the pan. Layer with 1 cup of the cottage cheese mixture, 1 ½ cups of meat sauce and half of the noodles. Repeat the layers of cottage cheese, meat and noodles. You’ll then top it with the remaining sauce.
Bring it to a boil and reduce the heat. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes. I cooked mine for 20 to make sure the noodles were fully cooked. Remove from heat. Top with cheese and a lid. Wait a few minutes for the cheese to melt and you’re ready to eat!
It’s so easy to make and quick too! I just placed the whole skillet on the table (with a hot pad below it, of course) and we were ready to dive in.
Serving it warm had my boys all excited about the cheese.
This view. I know it take it for granted. I just love getting to spend time with my family. It’s been such a busy year for us. Making it a priority to sit down each night to enjoy a meal, is such a great moment of the day.
In addition to the lasagna, earlier that afternoon while the big kid was in school, the little guy and I made Grandma Brubaker’s orange cookies from the Taste of Home cookbook as well. My boys love to bake with me. They are getting pretty good at measuring. Now if I could just get them to stop licking their fingers every single second…
Dessert was a hit. I will definitely be making the orange cookies again. If you’re looking for a great new cookbook with recipes for real life, make sure to check out the Taste of Home 100 Family Meals recipe book.
You can print the Skillet Lasagna recipe below! You can find Grandma Brubaker’s orange coookies here. Enjoy!Print
Lasagna has never been faster – make it in the skillet!
- ¾ pound ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-½ ounces) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, undrained
- 2 jars (14 ounces each) spaghetti sauce
- ⅔ cup condensed cream of onion soup, undiluted
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1–¼ cups 1% cottage cheese
- ¾ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 9 no-cook lasagna noodles
- ½ cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- ½ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomatoes and spaghetti sauce; heat through. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the soup, eggs, cottage cheese and Italian seasoning.
- Return 1 cup meat sauce to the skillet; spread evenly. Layer with 1 cup cottage cheese mixture, 1-½ cups meat sauce and half of the noodles, breaking to fit. Repeat layers of cottage cheese mixture, meat sauce and noodles. Top with remaining meat sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-17 minutes or until noodles are tender.
- Remove from the heat. Sprinkle with shredded cheeses; cover and let stand for 2 minutes or until melted.
From Taste of Home 100 Days Cookbook