All you need is 4 ingredients to make these delicious sweet cake mix lemon cookies! They’re bursting with fresh lemon flavor and are incredibly easy to make. The texture is just right, not too soft and not too hard, and the taste is simply unforgettable.
These lemon cake mix cookies are deliciously chewy with a burst of lemon flavor, balanced perfectly with a dusting of powdered sugar. The best part is you only need four simple pantry staples to make these family-favorite cookies at home!
I absolutely love lemon-flavored desserts! They’re delicious and perfect for every occasion. For more easy lemon treats, try making this lemon lush dessert, moist lemon cake, or top your favorite dessert with this lemon cream cheese frosting.
This recipe was found in my mom’s handwritten recipe book. She called them Lemon Whippersnaps Cookies.
Table of Contents
Why I Love This Recipe
- Easy to make: This cake mix lemon cookies recipe is as simple as combining all the ingredients. Once everything is mixed, you just drop spoonfuls into powdered sugar and roll them around to coat. Pop them on a cookie sheet, and into the oven they go!
- Quick: With a prep time of just a few minutes and a bake time of 10-12 minutes, you’ll have delicious lemon cookies ready in no time.
- Family Favorite: The lemon flavor in these cookies is a hit with kids and adults alike. They’re a great treat to have on hand, and are perfect for every occasion!
- Make Ahead: Whether you’re serving these at a party or just as a treat for your family, they’re guaranteed to be a hit. Plus, if you need to make them ahead of time, you can easily freeze them and bring them to room temperature before serving. Delicious and convenient!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I'll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
- Lemon Cake Mix: This is the base for our lemon crinkle cookies. It gives the cookies a wonderful lemon flavor and a chewy texture. It is a convenient way to get a great taste without having to measure out many individual ingredients.
- Cool Whip: This ingredient adds a light and fluffy texture to the cookie batter. It also adds a touch of sweetness to the lemon cake mix cookies.
- Egg: Just one egg is needed for this cookie recipe. It helps to bind the ingredients together and adds a bit of moisture to the batter. Just make sure it is at room temperature so that it incorporates more easily into the batter.
- Powdered Sugar: We use this to dust over the cookies once they’re done baking. It adds a sweet finish to these lemon cookies and helps to enhance the lemon flavor. Sift it before using to make sure that there are no lumps in your sugar.
- Large Bowl – A large bowl is needed to combine your ingredients together. The lemon cake mix, Cool Whip, and egg will all go in here and get stirred until they’re fully incorporated. The batter will be thick, so a good sturdy bowl is key.
- Cookie Sheet – You’ll need this to bake your cookies on. Once you’ve dropped your batter by the teaspoonful into the powdered sugar and rolled them around to coat, they’ll go onto the cookie sheet ready for the oven.
- Cooling Rack – After your cookies have baked for 10-12 minutes, you’ll want to let them cool on a cooling rack. This not only helps them cool faster but also prevents them from becoming soggy.
How to Make Cake Mix Lemon Cookies
Before you start with the cookie recipe, make sure you have all your ingredients at room temperature. Preheat your oven to 350˚ F and line your cookie sheets with parchment paper or a silicone mat for easy removal of cookies.
Step 1 – Mixing the Ingredients
In a large bowl, combine the lemon cake mix, cool whip, and egg. Stir these ingredients until they are fully incorporated. The batter will be quite thick, which is exactly what you want for these chewy lemon crinkle cookies.
Step 2 – Forming the Cookie Dough Balls
Once your batter is ready, use a cookie scoop or a teaspoon to drop portions of it into the powdered sugar. Roll each portion around in the sugar until it is fully coated. After that, place each sugar-coated cookie dough ball on the prepared pan.
Step 3 – Baking
Pop your cookie sheets into the preheated oven and bake your cookies for about 10-12 minutes. The exact time may vary depending on your oven, so be sure to keep an eye on them. You want them to be lightly golden and still soft in the middle.
Step 4 – Cooling
After removing your cookies from the oven, let them cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes. Then, transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely. This step is essential to let your cookies set and achieve the perfect chewy texture. Your cake mix lemon cookies are ready to serve!
- Watch Your Bake Time: Bake for 10-12 minutes. Each oven is different. Watch the baking time closely so that the cookies do not overbake by setting the timer a minute before you believe they will be done to check the cookies. You’ll know they’re done when they start to crack on the top.
- Switch it to Chocolate: For a twist on the classic lemon flavor, try swapping the lemon cake mix for a chocolate cake mix. It’ll be a delicious combination that kids will love!
- Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies: If you’re a fan of strawberries, this variation is perfect for you. Simply replace the lemon cake mix with a strawberry cake mix. The result will be a sweet, fruity cookie that’s perfect for spring or summer.
- Add Some Zest: For a more intense lemon flavor, add some fresh lemon zest or a few drops of lemon extract to the batter. This will give your cookies an extra zing and deepen the lemon taste. You can even top it with some lemon glaze. It’s perfect for those who can’t get enough of that tangy lemon flavor.
- Add Extras: The best thing about these cookies is that you can also add other delicious extras to it such as sprinkles or mini white chocolate chips!
What to Serve With
- These lemon cake mix cookies make a delicious morning treat. Pair them with a hot cup of coffee for a citrusy start to your day. The lemon flavor will brighten up your morning, while the chewy texture will satisfy your sweet tooth.
- Looking for a unique dessert option? Serve these lemon cookies with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. The creamy vanilla pairs perfectly with the tangy lemon flavor, making it a refreshing dessert for hot summer days.
- These cookies are perfect for an afternoon tea session. Their light lemon flavor compliments both robust black teas and more delicate green teas. Enjoy them with your favorite brew for a relaxing break.
- For a fun twist, try sandwiching some strawberries and cream between two lemon cookies. The sweetness of the strawberries and the richness of the cream balance out the tartness of the lemon, creating a delightful mini dessert sandwich.
You’ll know your cookies are done baking when they start to crack on the top. Be sure to keep a close eye on them so they do not overbake.
Absolutely! Feel free to experiment with different cake mix cookie recipes. For instance, you could use a chocolate cake mix for a different flavor profile.
If you don’t have Cool Whip, you can substitute it with whipped cream. However, the texture may be a bit different. Cool Whip gives these cookies their unique, chewy texture.
Storing and Reheating
- Room Temperature: Once your lemon cake mix cookies are cooled completely on a cooling rack, store them at room temperature in an airtight container. They will maintain their chewy texture and zesty lemon flavor for up to 3 days.
- Refrigerate: If you want to extend the shelf life of your cookies, you can refrigerate them. Place the cookies in a sealed container and they can be refrigerated for up to a week. Before enjoying them, let them come to room temperature to get back their original taste and texture.
- Freeze: You can also freeze these lemon crinkle cookies for longer storage. Simply place the cooled cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze until solid. Once frozen, transfer the cookies into a freezer-safe bag or container. They can be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature before serving.
- What to Expect: This lemon cake mix cookies recipe will make about 36 delicious, chewy cake mix lemon cookies.
- How to Scale: If you want to make more than 3 dozen cookies, you can double the recipe and follow the instructions as directed. Make sure to use a larger bowl to mix the ingredients properly.
Cake Mix Lemon Cookies
- 15.2 oz lemon cake mix
- 2 Cups cool whip thawed
- 1 large egg
- ½ Cup powdered sugar sifted
- Preheat oven to 350˚ F.
- Combine the lemon cake mix, cool whip, and egg in a large bowl. Stir until incorporated. The batter will be thick.
- Drop by heaping teaspoons into the sifted powdered sugar and roll it around to coat. Place on parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Let cool on a cooling rack.