This classic chicken divan recipe has a layer of broccoli and chicken topped with a rich and creamy sauce. Serve over steamed rice or baked potatoes.
Chalk this recipe up to another one my grandma made repeatedly. And how do I know that? Because she wrote it on her little recipe card. I know the signs of a good recipe and this chicken divan recipe did not disappoint.
What is Chicken Divan?
Chicken divan is a favorite weeknight meal option that can be made ahead or frozen to make life a little easier. It has a layer of chicken and broccoli that is topped with a rich and creamy sauce. The casserole is then baked until it’s bubbly and can be served over steamed rice or baked potatoes.
How to Make Chicken Broccoli Divan
Broccoli Layer: The first step to this recipe is to add broccoli to the bottom of a 9×13 pan and then to sprinkle with parmesan cheese. I like to buy only broccoli florets because of the flavor and the fact that nobody likes the stems! You can use fresh broccoli that has been steamed or in this case I used a few bags of broccoli florets that I steamed in the microwave.
Chicken Layer: Add a layer of chicken that has been fully cooked and then cut into bite size pieces. Again, being easy here, I added three large frozen chicken breasts to a large stockpot of water and brought it to a boil until the chicken was fully cooked. I then cut up the chicken into bite size pieces and stored them in the refrigerator in an airtight container until I was ready to assemble. You could also use rotisserie chicken for this step as well.
Sauce Layer: In a bowl combine the following:
- cream of mushroom soup
- sour cream
- lemon juice
- cheddar cheese
Pour over the chicken and broccoli layer. This recipe is not low fat – but boy, is it goooood! Sprinkle the top layer of sauce with parmesan cheese, paprika and dot with butter.
Bake: Bake in a preheated 350˚F oven for 40 minutes or until the edges are hot and bubbly.
How To Serve Chicken Divan with Curry
This recipe is rich and creamy so you want to serve it on top of something that balances the flavor. I like to serve it over steamed white rice. I also have enjoyed it over a large baked potato. Because you serve it over a starch this recipe really stretches.
Can You Make Ahead and Freeze Chicken Divan?
Yes. You can make this the night before you plan to bake it. Just cover and place in the refrigerator. When ready to bake, remove the cover and bake as directed. You can also freeze this recipe (covered with saran wrap and foil) in the freezer for up to three months. When ready to enjoy, simply thaw in the refrigerator and then bake uncovered as directed.
Like I mentioned, this recipe will stretch. My family enjoyed it for two nights and we also gave leftovers to my mom and dad who enjoyed it for two nights. And because of the rich flavor and protein packed chicken bites it left us fully satisfied! We hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
More Chicken Dinner Recipes
- Chicken Salad Recipe with Grapes – the perfect lunchtime sandwich!
- Hot Chicken Salad Recipe – a hot lunch idea combining the flavors of traditional chicken salad.
- Crockpot Shredded Chicken Sandwiches – easy chicken sandwiches that will feed a crowd.
- Chicken Enchiladas Casserole – one of our favorites of all time!
Chicken Divan Recipe
Classic chicken divan recipe with a layer of broccoli and chicken topped with a rich and creamy sauce. Serve over white rice or baked potatoes.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- 3 chicken breasts, fully cooked and cut into bite size pieces
- 3/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 (12 oz) bags of broccoli florets, fully steamed
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
- 8 oz of sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground curry
- 1 Cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- white rice or baked potatoes
- Grease 9×13 inch pan. Add layer of steamed broccoli and sprinkle with 1/4 cup of the parmesan cheese. Add layer of chicken. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup parmesan cheese.
- Combine in a bowl, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon juice, curry and cheddar cheese. Cover broccoli and chicken with sauce. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese, paprika and dot with butter.
- Bake uncovered in a preheated 350˚F oven for 40 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Serve over steamed rice or baked potatoes.
You can use fresh broccoli florets with this recipe. Make sure to steam them before adding them to the chicken divan.
For leftovers, reheat in microwave. Serve over fresh rice and baked potatoes.
Nutrition information does not include the steamed rice or the baked potatoes.
Keywords: Chicken Divan, chicken broccoli divan, chicken divan with curry