Impress your friends and family with these homemade soft pretzels – made in under 45 minutes! They’re a great snack served right from the oven!
The first thing that called to me when I found this vintage recipe for soft pretzels was the fact that they were no-rise. I love a good no-rise dough like my favorite pizza dough. It makes things easier in the long run.
These soft pretzels have a soft yeasty middle with a more hearty exterior – just the way I like them. Topped with coarse salt, they are absolutely delicious fresh from the oven, warm.
How to Make Homemade Soft Pretzels
In an electric mixer with the mixer attachment on the stir setting, combine yeast and warm water. (Temperature should be between 105˚ and 115˚F.) Gradually add the sugar, salt and 3 1/2 cups of flour.
Remove the mixer attachment, and attach the dough hook to the electric mixer. Mix on low for 3 minutes adding another 1/2 cup of more flour if necessary until the dough is smooth and elastic.
Remove the dough from the bowl, and divide in half and then cut each half in 6 equal sized pieces.
How to Form Dough into Soft Pretzels
Roll the dough back and forth using the palms of your hands until the dough is 15 inches long.
Place the dough rope on to the baking sheet. Cross the left side rope to the middle of the rope. Then fold the right side up and over the first loop to form the pretzel shape.
There are many out there who do the pretzel twist in the middle. I followed the directions on this vintage recipe, and honestly it’s so much easier just to fold and forget the twist!
Place pretzels 3 inches apart on the packing sheets and enlarge the holes in the pretzels using your fingers. Brush the egg and water mixture over the pretzels and sprinkle with course salt.
Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
These pretzels are the very best when warm! Their yeasty interior and hearty exterior are the perfect afternoon homemade snack! I hope you enjoy these homemade soft pretzels as much as our family has! Enjoy!
More Snack RecipesPrint
Homemade Soft Pretzel Recipe
Hearty homemade soft pretzels made in less than 45 minutes with simple pantry ingredients. These are best when served warm.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: Snack
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- 2 1/4 active dry yeast (or 1 yeast packet)
- 1 1/3 Cups warm water (105˚F to 115˚F)
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3 1/2 – 4 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 2 Tablespoons coarse salt
- Preheat your oven to 425˚F. In the electric mixer bowl combine the yeast and the warm water. On stir speed using the mixer attachment, gradually add the sugar, salt and flour until the dough is soft and slightly sticky.
- Add the dough hook mixer attachment, and knead the dough for approximately 3 minutes on low adding the additional 1/2 Cup of flour if needed. The dough should not stick to the sides of the bowl and be smooth and elastic.
- Cut the dough in half and then cut each half into 6 equal pieces. Roll the dough into a rope by rubbing the dough back and forth with the palm of your hands until the dough rope is 15 inches long. Place the dough rope on a baking dish. Form pretzel shape.
- Place pretzels 3 inches apart on the baking dish. Enlarge the holes on the pretzels using your fingers. Whisk together 1 egg and 1 Tablespoon of water in a small bowl. Brush onto the pretzels. (You will not use all the egg wash.) Sprinkle with salt.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until the soft pretzels are golden brown.
How to Form a Pretzel Shape: Cross the left side of the rope over to the middle of the rope to create a loop. Fold the right side of the dough rope over the first loop to form a pretzel shape.
- Serving Size: 1 pretzel
- Calories: 145
- Sugar: 1.2
- Sodium: 8.2
- Fat: .8
- Carbohydrates: 29.2
- Protein: 4.6
- Cholesterol: 15.5
Keywords: soft pretzels, soft pretzel recipe, how to make soft pretzels from scratch