These are the softest peanut butter blossoms you will ever enjoy! Made with my original peanut butter cookie recipe, these peanut butter cookies wrapped in sparkly sugar and topped with a Hershey kiss are one of the best cookies for Christmas!
This time of year there is lots of baking going on in my kitchen. And one of my favorite cookies to make, that makes the kitchen smell amazing, are my mom’s peanut butter blossom cookies.
There are a couple of things that make this peanut butter Hershey kiss cookies recipe unique.
- They’re made with butter and shortening. Many recipes call for only shortening. I like the buttery taste with the softness the the shortening provides.
- You bake the Hershey kiss in the cookie for the last two minutes of baking time. This lets the peanut butter cookie envelope the kiss, but also brings a sheen to the chocolate kiss that makes you look like you spooned the chocolate on yourself.
- They’re made with white sugar and brown sugar. The combination of sugars give it a rich and savory taste. Yum!
How do you make baked peanut butter blossoms?
After preheating your oven, combine the flour, baking powder and cinnamon in a bowl. Mix well and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, cream the shortening, butter and sugars together. Add your beaten eggs, peanut butter and vanilla and mix until well incorporated. Mix in your dry ingredients.
Using a cookie scoop, remove the cookie dough and roll between your hands to form a ball. Roll the dough ball into a bowl of sugar until completely covered.
Bake on a light baking pan for 13 – 14 minutes at 350˚F. Remove from oven and press in a Hershey kiss into each cookie. Bake for an additional two minutes.
Let cool and enjoy! The Hershey’s kisses will take a bit longer to fully cool. Don’t touch them as they look the same but they are a bit melted. That’s what makes them look shiny and part of the cookie. Let them cool completely before stacking or storing in an airtight container.
Common questions about making peanut butter blossoms.
Can you freeze peanut butter blossom cookies?
Yes! Peanut butter blossoms freeze well after being fully baked. After completely cooling, store them in an airtight container in the freezer. Let thaw before enjoying.
How long do peanut butter blossoms stay fresh?
The cookies will be fresh for up to 10 days.The best way to have the freshest cookie is to freeze the dough balls that have been dipped in sugar. Bake them fresh after thawing. You can also bake them ahead of time and store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 10 days.
Butter or Margarine?
I prefer butter in this recipe (and all my cookie recipes) but margarine would also bake well in this recipe.
If you’re on the hunt for a soft peanut butter blossom cookie recipe, then this one is… the one! Don’t look for another because you will not be disappointed with this classic Christmas cookie!
More Of the Best Cookies for Christmas
- Sugar Cookie Icing (Glaze)
- Easy Sugar Cookies Recipe
- Peanut Brittle Recipe
- Honey Cut-Out Cookies with Honey Icing
The softest peanut butter blossoms recipe! Made with butter and shortening to get that buttery taste and also brown sugar with the white sugar to give it a depth of flavor. These are the best!
- 3 Cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ Cup shortening
- ½ Cup butter, room temperature
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1 Cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 Cup peanut butter
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Hershey Kisses
- Preheat oven to 350˚ F.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Mix well and set aside.
- Cream sugars, shortening and butter together in a mixing bowl. Add beaten eggs, peanut butter and vanilla. Mix well until incorporated.
- Add dry ingredients to your wet ingredients. Using a cookie scoop, roll the dough between your hands to form a bowl. Roll the dough in sugar.
- Bake for 13 – 14 minutes. Remove from oven and press in a Hershey kiss into each cookie. Bake an additional 2 minutes.
- Let cool for 3-5 minutes on the pan and then carefully move to a cooling wrack.
- When cool, store in an airtight container.
You can substitute margarine for butter if you prefer in this recipe.
Keywords: peanut butter blossoms, Christmas cookies, peanut butter Hershey kiss cookies