This simple recipe cooks rice in real coconut milk and your favorite broth. Added hints of fresh lime and ginger make it a flavorful side dish to any meal!
I’ve made recipes from the Kitchens of Camp Danali in Alaska many times before. The most recent one was their cream cheese muffins, the best we’ve ever had! Today, I’m sharing an altered version of their coconut rice…and why not? Both palm trees and rice paddies are found in a similar climate and work well together in cooking.
Coconut rice is not a new phenomenon, but what I love about this recipe, in particular, is that it includes fresh lime and ginger too. You might think of coconut rice as only served alongside Asian meals, but coconut rice pairs wonderfully with American favorites too – like crispy chicken or flank steak. My kids enjoy it with just fresh fruit during the summertime.
Are you ready to make simple coconut rice with me?
How to Make Coconut Rice
Step 1: To begin, open a can of coconut cream. If you can’t find the cream version, a can of coconut milk will work just fine. We’ll need 2 cups total, so add the remaining space with water until you reach 2 cups. The richness of the coconut cream will add so much flavor to our rice. Set this aside for now.
Step 2: In a large stockpot, heat together the olive oil and butter over medium-high heat. Add the dry rice and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. You do not want to soak or rinse the rice beforehand. Here is a look at the rice after 3 quick minutes.
Step 3: Add the 2 cups of coconut cream or milk and all other remaining ingredients to the pot (except for the shredded coconut) and bring it all to a boil. Once it boils, reduces the heat to low and cover. Simmer the rice for 22 minutes. Yep, I timed it exactly 🙂
Remove the lid and this is what you’ll see! All of the yummy broth and flavors will be soaked up into the rice. Yummo.
Step 4: If you’re up for it, stir in the toasted coconut! No matter what you do, what I love about coconut rice is that it won’t overpower whatever it’s served with.
Homemade coconut rice is a delicious, quick, and inexpensive side to any meal. We’ve been cooking a lot at home these last several weeks and I love to change it up with fresh and healthy new side dishes, don’t you?
More Side Dishes You’ll Love
- Maple Glazed Carrots (goes great with the rice!)
- Classic Bean Salad
- Calico Beans Recipe (on of our favorites!)
Simple coconut rice makes a delicious and unique side dish that’s the perfect pair for your main course.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 Cups long-grain white rice
- 1 –14 oz. can unsweetened coconut cream (can sub coconut milk)
- 2 Cups quality chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- juice from ½ lime
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ Cup unsweetened toasted coconut (optional)
- Open a can of coconut cream or coconut milk and add just enough water to make 2 cups. In a large stockpot, heat together the olive oil and butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the dry rice and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the 2 cups of coconut cream or milk and all other remaining ingredients to the pot (except for the shredded coconut) and bring it all to a boil.
- Once it boils, reduce the heat to low and cover. Simmer the rice for 22 minutes.
- Stir in the toasted coconut, or add in other desired mix-ins!
After cooking, add in other mix-ins like fresh chopped mango, peppers, spring onions, or soy sauce for more Asian flavor.
- Serving Size: ½ Cup
- Calories: 326
- Sugar: 2.6
- Sodium: 426.8
- Fat: 6.9
- Carbohydrates: 22
- Protein: 4.7
- Cholesterol: 7.5
Keywords: coconut rice