Healthy oatmeal pancakes made with whole wheat flour, old fashioned roll oats and sweetened with applesauce. Add a dash of cinnamon, brown sugar, one egg and any kind of milk. In five minutes, you’ll have flavorful and fluffy oatmeal pancakes.
Healthy Oatmeal Pancakes
Breakfast for dinner is one of our favorite meals on a weeknight. Not only is it quick and inexpensive; it can be healthy too! Today, I’m going to introduce you to my family’s go-to simple homemade healthy oatmeal pancake recipe made with whole grain flour. I created this recipe to accommodate my family’s love of oats. There aren’t very many pancake recipes out there with rolled oats in them and I have no idea why! Oats serve a great thickener for the batter.
My family also has an abundance of unsweetened applesauce on hand from canning season. Just two tablespoons of applesauce in place oil or butter is all you’ll need. Add a dash of cinnamon, brown sugar, one egg and any kind of milk. In five minutes, you’ll have a flavorful and fluffy whole grain pancake – very simple and very homemade! And guess what? You only have to dirty one more dish than with the boxed mixes!
Are you ready to make some simple and homemade pancakes for dinner tonight?
Come on in to my kitchen!
How to Make Oatmeal Pancakes
Ingredients: whole wheat flour, rolled oats, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, brown sugar, one egg, milk and unsweetened applesauce. If you want to make this gluten free, substitute the whole wheat with gluten free flour. If you are going for dairy free, substitute any original non-dairy milk.
Step 1 – Get out a big mixing bowl and combine whole wheat flour, rolled oats, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Stir it up!
Step 2 – In a liquid measuring cup, add milk. To the milk, whisk egg, brown sugar and unsweetened applesauce. If you are feeling real fancy, you can also add 1 Tablespoon of molasses.
Step 3 – Now add your liquid to the mixture of dry ingredients and stir until combined!
Step 4 – This is what your batter will look like. Allow it to sit for about 5 minutes while you heat up your griddle. During the wait, the oats will soak up some of that liquid and thicken it up exactly how we want it.
The key to perfect, golden pancakes is a hot griddle on one side of the pancake and a warm griddle on the other. What do I mean? When you pour the batter on, you want a griddle that is already medium-hot. When you see bubbles formed over most of the batter (shown here), flip the pancake over and turn your heat down to low for an additional one minute. Remove the pancake, turn your heat back up and repeat.
Also, your ¼ cup measuring cup will pour 8, 4-5 inch pancakes with this batter. We are not going for pancakes the size of our heads like you’ll see in diners. Moderation, people! 😉
There you go! Delicious, hot, fluffy, golden, whole grain …need I go on? ….pancakes!
Thought I would drizzle them with some real maple syrup and take a bite to show you an inside view. Wish you taste your computer screen!
More Breakfast Recipes
- Crockpot Breakfast Casserole Recipe With Sausage
- Make Ahead Breakfast Casserole
- Breakfast Burrito Recipe (Freezer Cooking!)
Easy healthy oatmeal pancakes recipe made with whole wheat flour and old fashioned rolled oats.
- 1 ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ heaping teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ⅛ cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- In a large bowl, stir together 1 ¼ cups whole wheat flour, ¼ cup rolled oats, 2 tsp. baking powder, ¼ heaping tsp. of salt and ¼ tsp. of cinnamon.
- In a liquid measuring cup, whisk together 1 ⅛ cups of milk, 1 egg, 2 T. of brown sugar and 2 T. of unsweetened applesauce.
- Add your liquid to the mixture of dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Allow the batter to sit for 5 minutes while you heat up your griddle using medium-high heat.
- Using a ¼ measuring cup, pour the batter on your hot griddle. When you see bubbles formed over most of the batter, flip the pancake over and turn the heat down to low for an additional one minute. Remove the pancake, turn your heat back up and repeat.
Keywords: Healthy oatmeal pancakes, how to make oatmeal pancakes, easy oatmeal pancakes