This easy turkey tetrazzini recipe creates a creamy homemade sauce (no canned soups!) with fresh mushrooms and leftover turkey. Similar to chicken tetrazzini this recipe can be adapted using rotisserie chicken for an easy casserole dinner.
It’s time to make a turkey just to create and enjoy this turkey tetrazzini recipe. I kid. (Sort of.) This is the perfect recipe to make with your leftover turkey this coming Thanksgiving. In fact I made this with my leftover turkey that was in my freezer. That means delicious turkey tetrazzini long after the fall decorations were put away.
This recipe is based on a super simple homemade roux sauce that is coupled with fresh mushrooms bringing a savory taste to this casserole classic. The original recipe comes from my parent’s good friends in college and after finding this delicious traditional recipe – I am looking forward to making it again soon!
How to Make Turkey Tetrazzini
Cook and drain 8 oz of spaghetti. While the pot is boiling, sauté the mushrooms in butter. Set the mushrooms aside to make the homemade creamy sauce.
Turkey Tetrazzini Homemade Sauce
Melt butter in the pan you used for your mushrooms that have now been removed. Add the flour and stir until combined into a paste. Add the chicken broth and let simmer while stirring until it thickens. After thickening add the milk, sherry, salt and pepper.
In a large bowl combine the mushrooms, pasta and creamy homemade sauce.
Add to a 13×9 pan and sprinkle with shredded parmesan cheese.
Bake at 350˚ F for 25 minutes or until bubbly. Serve warm.
This is seriously one of my favorite savory casserole recipes. The sherry gives it a depth of flavor that is just absolutely delicious. And while you can make this recipe using chicken, I highly recommend making it with all that leftover turkey you’ll have this season.
More Casserole RecipesPrint
Easy turkey tetrazzini recipe that creates a creamy homemade sauce with sautéd mushrooms and leftover turkey.
- 8 oz of spaghetti noodles
- 8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 4 Tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 cups turkey, cooked and cubed
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 Cups chicken broth
- 1 Cup evaporated milk
- 3 Tablespoons cooking sherry
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 Cup shredded parmesan
- Preheat oven to 350˚ F.
- Boil the spaghetti until al-dente and drain.
- Sauté mushrooms in 2 Tablespoons butter over medium heat on the stove. Remove mushrooms from pan.
- To the same stove top pan, add 2 Tablespoons of butter and fully melt. Add flour and mix until a paste. Add chicken broth and simmer until thickened. Once thickened add milk, sherry, salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl combine the homemade sauce, cooked spaghetti, turkey and mushrooms. Add to a 13×9 baking pan and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake in a 350˚F oven for 25 minutes or until bubbly.
Adaptations: This recipe can be made with chicken. You can also omit the mushrooms, and add peas if you prefer.
Freezer Cooking: Make the recipe as directed except do not bake it. Place in covered 13×9 covered casserole dish and freeze. Let thaw overnight and then bake as directed or until the turkey tetrazzini is bubbly around the edges.
Keywords: turkey tetrazzini, easy turkey tetrazzini