This easy homemade apple strudel recipe found in my grandma’s recipe box, fills your kitchen with the most wonderful aroma. Made from scratch, the homemade dough and apple filling are easy to make – even if it’s your first time making strudel!
I’ll admit this is my first time making apple strudel. After stumbling upon this recipe from my grandma it looked delicious and I had to give it a try. Sometimes recipes on here are ones that I don’t make many times before I share them. And I figured if I could be successful on the first try, then so can you!
This delicious apple strudel is made with my favorite apples, Jonagold. Sure, you can use any baked apples but I preferred those when making this apple dessert as well as my apple crisp. One surprising part to this recipe is that it has sour cream in the apple strudel dough. And while I was skeptical I am totally sold on this crust after enjoying how incredibly flaky it was.
Why I recommend this apple strudel recipe:
- It makes three apple strudels that are not too much to handle. They’re in fact, the perfect size.
- Anyone can make this, I was successful on my first try. You an doooo it!
- The flavors combined with the flaky crust are unique and absolutely delicious.
How to Make Apple Strudel
Combine the butter, flour, sour cream and salt to make the crust. Refrigerate overnight. Using ALOT of flour, roll out 1/3 of the dough until it’s quite thin, but still useable. This recipe will make three strudels. Did I mention that already? If you didn’t notice, I kind of love that this doesn’t make the larger than life strudel that takes multiple hands to pull together.
In a separate bowl combine the bread crumbs and butter. Add the apples, sugar, pecans and cinnamon. Mix them together and avoid eating little apple bites. Apples and sugar are gooood together.
Fill your apple strudel dough with 1/3 of your apple filling. Leave about one inch on each side to hold in the apple filling.
Roll the apple strudel using the longer side making sure to close any holes that may form. Don’t worry, it will heal. And make sure the seam is at the bottom of the baking sheet.
Bake at 350˚F for 55 to 60 minutes. Like I said, this recipe makes three small size strudels which makes it super easy to make as a first time strudel maker. Just wanted to make sure you noticed. 😉
I found this recipe in my grandma’s recipe box, and like I said, and it was a keeper! I left out the raisins because I’m not a raisin kind of girl. Are you? If so you can add golden raisins to up the flavor. I also would probably cut up my apples a bit smaller the next time, but as it was – it turned out great. For such a recipe that can be intimidating – this apple strudel was the easiest!
I hope you enjoy this apple strudel recipe as much as my family did!
More Simple Apple Desserts
- Dutch Apple Pie Recipe
- Mountain Dew Apple Dumplings Recipe
- Award Winning Easy Apple Cake Recipe
- Apple Dumplings Recipe
Homemade Apple Strudel Recipe
Easy homemade apple strudel made with a homemade dough and apple filling.
- Prep Time: 14 hours
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 15 hours
- Yield: 30 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1 Cup butter, cold
- 2 Cups all purpose flour
- 1 Cup sour cream
- 2 Cups dry bread crumbs, plain
- 1/4 Cup butter, melted
- 4 medium apples, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 Cup pecans, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 350˚F.
- In a bowl, cut flour into butter until crumbles are formed. Add the sour cream and salt. Mix well. Shape into a ball and cover. Refrigerate overnight.
- To make the filling, combine the bread crumbs and melted butter. Add the remaining ingredients. Set aside.
- Divide the chilled dough into thirds. Roll each onto a floured surface into a 15 inch by 12 inch rectangle. Spoon the filling onto the dough and spread within 1 inch of the edges. Roll from the long size. Pinch seams and ends to seal.
- Place seam side down on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350˚F for 55 to 50 minutes or until lightly brown. Cool on a wire rack.
If you desire, you can add 1 cup of golden raisins to the homemade apple filling before rolling into the dough.
Dust with confectioner’s sugar if wanted.
Keywords: apple strudel