Easy million dollar chocolate cherry cake recipe! Made from scratch with chocolate cake mix, chocolate chips and cherry pie filling, it’s no wonder this was a Pillsbury winner!
Let me just tell you how smart I thought I was. I’ve been digging into recipe boxes that were given to me when I got married. They are filled with handwritten notes and I was looking for a chocolate cake recipe. So when I stumbled upon this handwritten recipe for cherry chocolate cake, I knew I had to try it. The recipe looked easy while at the same time seemed so creative. And let me tell you, it is the BEST homemade chocolate cake recipe EVER.
Chocolate Cake With Cherry Pie Filling
Imagine my surprise when my parents came over for dinner and I served this cake only to find out it’s the million dollar winner from Pillsbury from years ago. 1974 to be exact. Well, I sure do know a good recipe when I see one?! I can’t wait to go into my recipe box and see what else pops up for me to make for you. 🙂
Well, if you were in the dark like me. Here’s is an absolutely delicious and rich recipe to serve for dessert. It’s even better the second day.
How To Make Chocolate Cherry Cake
In a large bowl combine all the cake ingredients which include the cake mix, cherry pie filling, eggs and almond extract. You don’t need a mixer. You mix this by hand.
One thing to note is the cherry pie filling. Make sure you get cherry PIE filing and not just cherry filling. There is a difference, so read the can, man. 🙂
The batter will be very thick. You can see that it is much thicker than a brownie batter.
I need to make this cake again, I’m getting hungry.
Spread the batter into a 9×13 cake pan that has been sprayed with PAM. I used a spatula to even it. It’s fool proof! Bake for 25 – 30 minutes at 350˚ F.
You can find my other must have baking tools here.
Once the cake is baked, remove it and place on a cooling rack. Immediately get to work on the glaze as you’ll want to top the cake while it’s still warm.
To make the icing, combine the sugar, butter and milk in a saucepan. Bring it to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir constantly. Let it boil for one minute. Remove it from the heat and stir in the chocolate chips.
Resist the urge to lick the spoon. This stuff is hot lava. Pour the frosting over the entire warm delicious best homemade chocolate cake recipe.
Enjoy, friends! This chocolate cherry cake is amazing!
More Simple Cake Recipes
- Lemon Lime Jello Poke Cake
- Rhubarb Cake Recipe
- Peach Dump Cake
- Easy Homemade Strawberry Shortcake From Scratch
- Orange Delight Cake Recipe
Easy homemade chocolate cake recipe made with cherry pie filling and chocolate chips!
- 1 package of chocolate cake mix
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 can (21 oz) cherry pie filling
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 Cup sugar
- ½ Cup butter or margarine
- ½ Cup milk
- 1 Cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9×13 inch cake pan.
- Mix the cake mix, eggs, pie filling and almond extract.
- Pour batter into the cake pan.
- Bake 25 – 30 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once the cake it baked, place it on a cooling wrack and immediately begin the icing.
- Combine the sugar, Butter and milk in a saucepan. Bring it to a boil. Boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the icing over the warm cake and let cool completely before serving.
This cake can be made the day ahead! Place in refrigerator covered after fully cooled.
Keywords: chocolate cherry cake, chocolate cake with cherry pie filling, chocolate cherry cake recipe
Originally shared 2014.