This old fashioned chocolate pie recipe brings a classic dessert to your table with a rich, creamy, and chocolatey twist. It’s a traditional pudding pie that’s perfectly sweet, making it a must-try for all chocolate lovers.
Pies are a true classic, and this vintage chocolate pie is one of the best ones ever. It’s the perfect sweet treat for the holiday season or any special occasion. The rich, decadent chocolate filling paired with your favorite pie crust creates a dessert that’s hard to resist.
This old fashioned chocolate pie is a classic, and if you love it, you’ll also enjoy our chocolate mayonnaise cake, a unique and delicious dessert. Or, for a quick and easy treat, try our recipe for hot chocolate mix, perfect for those chilly evenings. You should also try my chocolate cherry oat bars which have the perfect combination of sweet and tart.
This dessert was found in a vintage mini holiday desserts cookbook published in 1993. A lot of the recipes include the use of walnuts, Cool Whip, and baker’s chocolate. How could you go wrong?
Table of Contents
Why I Love This Recipe
- No Bake Dessert: No baking required! The combination of sweet chocolate, creamy cool-whip topping, and crunchy walnuts creates a timeless flavor profile that’s hard to resist.
- Family Favorite: This old fashioned chocolate pie is a hit with the whole family. It’s a recipe that’s been passed down through generations and loved by all.
- Showstopper: This pie is not only delicious, but it’s also a real showstopper. The beautiful layer of chocolate and cream makes it a dessert that stands out on any table.
- Comfort Food: There’s something incredibly comforting about a slice of this chocolate pie. It’s the perfect treat to enjoy after a long day.
- Make-Ahead: This grandma’s chocolate pie can be stored in the freezer so it’s perfect to make ahead of time for special occasions to save loads of time on the day of the event.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I'll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
- Walnuts: Finely chopped walnuts add a wonderful crunch and nutty flavor to our recipe.
- Butter: Melted butter is the fat in this recipe, giving it a beautiful buttery flavor and smooth texture.
- Bakers German Sweet Chocolate: This is the star of our recipe, providing a rich, sweet, and chocolaty flavor.
- Milk: Milk is used to add moisture, making our recipe creamy and delicious.
- Cream Cheese: Softened cream cheese adds a tangy flavor and creamy texture to balance the sweetness of the chocolate.
- Granulated Sugar: A little granulated sugar enhances the sweetness of our recipe.
- Cool Whip: Thawed cool whip gives our recipe a light, fluffy texture and a creamy, sweet flavor.
- Pie Plate – You’ll need a 9-inch pie plate to press in the walnut and butter mixture, creating the crust for your pie. This plate will also serve as your mold when you freeze the pie.
- Hand Mixer – This tool is crucial for beating the cream cheese, sugar, and remaining milk into the melted chocolate. It ensures a smooth, well-blended mixture for your pie filling.
- Microwave-safe Bowl – This is essential for melting German sweet chocolate with milk. Make sure it’s large enough to accommodate the chocolate and milk without spilling over.
How to Make Old Fashioned Chocolate Pie
Combine the finely chopped walnuts and butter in a 9-inch pie plate. Press this mixture into the sides and bottom of the pie plate to form the crust. Once done, place the pie plate in the refrigerator to chill.
Step 1 – Melt the Chocolate
In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the chocolate and 2 tablespoons of milk. Microwave this mixture on high for 1 minute. After microwaving, stir the mixture until the chocolate is completely melted.
Step 2 – Mix the Filling
Into the melted chocolate, add the softened cream cheese, sugar, and the remaining milk. Use a hand mixer to beat these ingredients on high until the mixture is smooth. Once done, refrigerate the mixture for 10 minutes to cool.
Step 2 – Add the Cool Whip
After the chocolate mixture has cooled, fold in the cool whip. Spoon this final mixture onto the walnut crust.
Step 4 – Freeze the Pie
Freeze the pie for four hours or until it is firm. Before serving, let the pie stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes or until it can easily be cut. Enjoy your delicious old-fashioned chocolate pie.
To make the best old fashioned chocolate pie, stick to a regular pie plate. Using a deep dish pie plate may result in a crust that’s not high enough on the sides, which could compromise the final look and feel of your pie.
- Pie Crust: You can use a different type of pie crust, such as a graham cracker pie crust, chocolate pie crust, or a homemade pie crust for this recipe.
- Extra Chocolate: To make this pie extra chocolatey, you can fold some chocolate chips into the chocolate pie filling before pouring them into your store-bought pie crust.
- Toppings: If you love coconut, try sprinkling some shredded coconut on top for a tropical twist. Alternatively, you can also add some chocolate shavings.
What to Serve With
- For a classic dessert pairing, serve this old fashioned chocolate pie with a hot cup of coffee. The bitterness of the coffee perfectly complements the sweetness of the pie, making for a satisfying end to any meal.
- If you’re looking for a fruitier option, try serving the pie with a side of fresh strawberries or raspberries. The tartness of the berries provides a nice contrast to the rich, creamy chocolate.
- For a truly indulgent treat, pair the pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. The cool, creamy ice cream works wonderfully with the rich, chocolaty pie.
For this recipe, I recommend using Bakers German Sweet Chocolate. This type of chocolate is sweet and creamy, which makes it perfect for this pie. However, if you can’t find it, you can use any other sweet chocolate.
Yes, you can. While this recipe calls for finely chopped walnuts, you can substitute them with almonds, pecans, or any other nut of your choice. Just make sure to chop them finely to get the right texture for the crust.
Yes, you can use whipped cream instead of Cool Whip. However, keep in mind that whipped cream might not be as stable as Cool Whip, so the texture of the pie might be slightly different.
Storing and Reheating
- Refrigerate: I don’t recommend storing this pie in the fridge as it will affect the consistency. Instead, store any leftovers in the freezer.
- Freezer: Leftovers can be stored in the freezer for up to three months, making this the perfect make-ahead dessert! Cover in plastic wrap before storing. And then simply allow it to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before cutting and serving.
- What to Expect: This old fashioned chocolate pie recipe yields a deliciously rich pie that’s enough for 8 servings.
- How to Scale: If you wish to serve more than eight, you can easily double the recipe. Just make sure to use a larger mixing bowl for the ingredients and two 9-inch pie plates to accommodate the increased quantity. Follow the rest of the instructions as directed.
Old Fashioned Chocolate Pie
- 1 ¾ Cup finely chopped walnuts
- 3 Tablespoons butter melted
- 4 oz Bakers German Sweet Chocolate
- ⅓ Cup milk divided
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 8 oz cool whip thawed
- Mix the finely chopped walnuts and butter in a 9-inch pie plate. Press it into the sides and bottom of the pie plate. Refrigerate.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave the chocolate, and 2 Tablespoons of milk for 1 minute on high. Remove from the microwave and stir until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Into the melted chocolate, beat the cream cheese, sugar, and remaining milk on high with a hand mixer until smooth. Refrigerate for 10 minutes to cool.
- Fold the cool whip into the chilled chocolate mixture. Spoon onto the crust.
- Freeze for four hours or until firm. Let stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes or until the pie can easily be cut. Store leftover pie in the freezer.