Always wondered how to make fried cornmeal mush? This recipe will walk you through making this Amish-style Midwest recipe that is the perfect breakfast topped with maple syrup and butter.
What is Fried Mush
Fried mush uses three simple ingredients to create a fried cornbread-type thick mixture that you fry up in butter. It’s a great breakfast replacement for pancakes or waffles.
This recipe came to mind when I found this little square recipe in my grandma’s recipe box. I remember my dad ordering it at restaurants, so I wanted to try making it myself.
How to Make Fried Mush
You will need simple ingredients and a little time to make this delicious breakfast recipe.
- Fine Corn Meal
- Heat 3 cups of water to a boil in a medium-sized saucepan.
- In a bowl, mix 1 cup of fine cornmeal and 1 teaspoon of salt with 1 cup of water.
- Pour into the boiling water and stir constantly.
- Cook until thickened. Cover and continue heating on low for 10 minutes or longer until it becomes a very thick consistency. Make sure to stir constantly.
- Pour the cooked cornmeal into a loaf pan. Refrigerate.
- When fully cool, slice in 1/2 inch slices and pan fry slowly on a little greased pan with butter. Serve immediately.
What to Serve on Fried Mush
I love to serve fried mush with butter and maple syrup. The butter and syrup will soak in and give it a delicious sweetness.
Use fine-milled cornmeal to make this recipe. Coarse grain may result in a grainier texture.
How do I store fried cornmeal mush?
Serve the fried mush immediately. You can store the un-fried cornmeal mush in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Slice as you need more fried mush to enjoy.
Fried Cornmeal Mush
- 1 saucepan
- 1 skillet
- 1 bread pan
- 4 cups water divided
- 1 cup fine ground cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- Heat 3 cups of water to boiling in a medium saucepan.
- In a separate bowl, mix cornmeal, salt, and the remaining 1 cup of water.
- Pour the cornmeal mixture into the boiling water. Stir constantly. Cook until thickened.
- Pour cooked cornmeal into a greased or lined loaf pan. Refrigerate.
- When cooled, slice into 1/2-inch slices. Pan fry slowly on a lightly greased griddle or skillet until golden brown. Serve immediately topped with maple syrup and/or butter.
Did you create this?
Share it on Instagram and follow us on Pinterest for more Cleverly Simple recipes.
Leave A Reply!