These soft and chewy ginger snap cookies are sure to bring you into the fall holiday spirit! This old fashioned cookie recipe is made even better with a sprinkle of sugar before you bake them.
If you like molasses in classic gingerbread cookies, then you’ll love them in ginger snaps. The golden color with the flavors of cinnamon and cloves makes these cookies hard to resist!
Ginger snaps are one of my husband’s favorite cookies and I didn’t even know that until I made this recipe. Ginger snaps are the perfect complement to a hot cup of coffee or a cold glass of milk. Serve them warm, or freeze them for later.
How to Make Ginger Snaps
- Beat together wet ingredients until well incorporated.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Shape dough into balls and roll into granulated sugar.
- Bake in a preheated oven until set and start to split.
TIP: Don’t over bake your cookies! You want these cookies to be golden brown and not crispy around the edges. Baking them just perfect provides a soft and chewy ginger snap.
How to Store Ginger Snaps
These cookies are super simple to store! Once baked and cooled, store in an airtight container for up to one week.
If you want to make these ahead, like other Christmas cookies, you can freeze them in a freezer storage bag for up to six months.
More Cookie Recipes
- Soft Peanut Butter Cookies – simple, classic, and delicious!
- Soft Peanut Butter Blossoms Recipe – a favorite
- The Best Sugar Cookie – these really are the best!
Soft and chew ginger snap cookie recipe that’s perfect for fall!
- 1 Cup brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 Cup shortening
- 1/4 Cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 375˚ F. Line your baking pan with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Beat brown sugar, shortening, molasses, and egg in a large bowl using an electric mixer. Blend well on medium speed until well incorporated.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the granulated sugar. Stir together until blended well.
- Take a rounded teaspoonful of dough and roll it into a ball. Roll it around in a bowl of granulated sugar until fully covered. Place the dough balls on the baking sheet approximately 3 inches apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the cookies are just set and the dough has cracked. Remove from the baking pan and let cool.
Adapted from recipe source Betty Crocker Cookbook.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 78
- Sugar: 6.3
- Sodium: 68.3
- Fat: 3.4
- Carbohydrates: 11.4
- Protein: .8
- Cholesterol: 3.9
Keywords: ginger snaps recipes, ginger snap cookies