Simple Chicken and Rice Recipe
When I first moved to NW Ohio, one particular family would often invite me over for lunch at their home after church. Mrs. B, as I call her, would almost always serve a some kind of casserole with salad and fruit and follow it with coffee and her famous cookies. It wasn’t an extravagant lunch by any means, but the meal always left me satisfied and well nourished. My favorite casserole of hers was a simple chicken and rice recipe bake she slow cooked in the oven during the church service. Really simple and really delicious!
I recently asked her for the recipe and after a few adaptations, I made it for dinner this week. It was even better than I remember – moist chicken and flavorful brown rice all cooked together into a hearty main. Some people have called this dish “Forgotten Chicken” and how true that is! After you put it together, you let the oven take care of the hard work and you literally forget about it…until that wonderful fragrance starts to take over your home!
Would you like to learn how to make this Simple Chicken and Rice Recipe?
Come on in to my kitchen!
Wondering where the remaining ingredients are? This it it! Simple, right? Raw chicken breasts, uncooked brown rice, vegetable broth, water and flavorful cream soup.
- Mrs. B’s original recipe calls for 1 can each of condensed cream of mushroom soup and cream of celery soup. However, I made my own condensed soup from scratch, following the recipes on www.simplyscratch.com. I substituted non-dairy butter and milk to make it safe for my daughter. I am pleased with the result! Perfect consistency and healthier than the canned soup.
- Instead of cooking this dish on a lower heat for at least 2 hours, I cook mine at 350 for only 90 minutes total.
- For the broth portion, I’m using herb infused vegetable broth made by Rapunzel. This adds even more flavor!
There are lots more adaptations and variations you could try, but we are keeping it SIMPLE, friends!
This picture shows the final step in making my own cream soups, which you will need to do first. If, however, you are using the canned guys, pretend you didn’t read this part 🙂
Rinse 2 cups of brown rice and drain.
Grease your best 13×9 pan and pour the rice in the bottom. Follow with 5 defrosted boneless, skinless, chicken breasts.
Combine 2 cups water, 2 cups vegetable broth and 1 can each (or 2 1/2 cups homemade) of condensed cream of mushroom and cream of celery soup. No need to add more salt. Both the broth and soups should have plenty of salt to carry through the rice and chicken. Pour this soup mixture over the chicken and rice. Almost done!
It may look like there is too much liquid in the pan at this point, but no fear! You will need this much liquid to cook 2 cups of brown rice. Ratio is key in making both your rice and chicken moist.
Cover the entire pan with foil and place it into a 350 oven for 80 minutes. Forget about it! Then, when the timer goes off, remove the foil and bake another 10-15 minutes until golden. This will finish the cooking and leave you with perfectly cooked chicken and rice.
Let it cool down for a bit and then let the chicken break apart as you dish it out. You’ll love the simple flavors, but there is no shame if you want to add sour cream or hot sauce to your own portion…and did I mention the leftovers? This Simple Chicken and Rice dish is even better the next day.
There you have it! A great meal…esp when served with salad and fruit and followed by coffee and your famous cookies 🙂
Easy Chicken and Rice Recipe
Easy chicken and rice recipe that is the perfect comfort food on a cool day.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 90 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Main
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup (or 1 1/4 cups homemade condensed soup)
- 1 can cream of celery soup (or 1 1/4 cups homemade condensed soup)
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups flavorful vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- Rinse 2 cups of brown rice and drain.
- Grease a 13×9 pan and pour the rice in the bottom. Top with 5 defrosted boneless, skinless, chicken breasts.
- Combine 2 cups water, 2 cups vegetable broth and 1 can each (or 2 1/2 cups homemade) of condensed cream of mushroom and cream of celery soup.
- Pour the broth/soup mixture all over the chicken and rice.
- Cover the entire pan with foil and place into a 350 oven for 80 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake another 10-15 minutes until golden.
Meredith is a pastor’s wife and stay-at-home mom living in NW Ohio. She loves to adapt recipes to her family’s eclectic tastes and is learning to provide nourishment for any bellies who walk through the door at a moment’s notice. If not in the kitchen, you’ll find Meredith in front of her sewing machine or spending quality time with her home and church families. Life goes by so fast!