Easy apple coffee cake recipe that’s made with apples and walnuts with a brown sugar crumble topping. The addition of sour cream brings in the flavor with this breakfast recipe that’s made in a 9×13 pan. It’s the perfect complement to a hot cup of coffee!
I am a coffee cake fanatic. I can’t get enough. And when I stumbled onto this recipe from my great- Aunt Margaret, I knew I had to give this one a try with its pairing of tart apples with a sweet crumble topping.
Made with traditional ingredients like sour cream, this recipe is SO GOOD. I had to stop myself from eating the entire pan. Seriously. And while this recipe didn’t rise to the height I thought it would, the moist apples combined with the walnuts meant I didn’t care.
How to Make Apple Coffee Cake
In a mixing bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar. Add 2 eggs and vanilla and beat well.
In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to the creamed mixture along with the sour cream. Fold in 2 cups of finely chopped apples and 1/2 cup of walnuts. Spread in a 9×13 in pan.
To make the topping, combine brown sugar, cinnamon and butter. Sprinkle over the batter.
Bake at 350˚F for 35-40 minutes.
You guys. This coffee cake is moist, dense and absolutely delicious. I dare you to eat just one slice. Enjoy!
What kind of apples for apple coffee cake?
Like all baked goods, I highly recommend using a tart apple like Jonagold or granny smith.
Can I omit the walnuts in this recipe?
Yes! I personally love nuts in my baked goods, but this coffee cake is equally as delicious nut-less.
How do I know when the coffee cake is fully baked?
When you insert a toothpick in the middle and it comes out clean, you know your coffee cake is done!
More Breakfast RecipesPrint
Apple Coffee Cake
Easy apple coffee cake recipe combining tart apples and a sweet crumble topping. This breakfast recipe pairs perfectly with a hot cup of coffee!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 Cup shortening
- 1 Cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, well beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Cup sour cream
- 2 Cups apples, finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 Cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons butter, cold
- Preheat oven to 350˚ F and butter a 9×13 inch pan.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together shortening and sugar. Add 2 well beaten eggs and vanilla.
- In a seaparate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Add to the creamed mixture along with the sour cream.
- Fold in the chopped apples and walnuts. Spread in a greased 9×13 pan.
- In a small bowl, cut in butter to the cinnamon and brown sugar. Sprinkle over the batter in the 9×13 inch pan. Bake at 350˚F for 35-40 or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Serving Size: 12
- Calories: 275
- Sugar: 19
- Sodium: 221
- Fat: 12.3
- Carbohydrates: 37.3
- Protein: 4.6
- Cholesterol: 37.7
Keywords: apple coffee cake, apple nut coffee cake