A moist and dense apple coffee cake with a brown sugar crumble topping. Made with tart apples and walnuts, the sour cream addition provides a flavorful addition. Made in a 9×13 inch baking pan, this easy breakfast recipe is the perfect complement to a hot cup of coffee!
Made with traditional ingredients like sour cream, this recipe is SO GOOD. I had to stop myself from eating the entire pan. Seriously. And while this recipe didn’t rise to the height I thought it would, the moist apples combined with the walnuts meant I didn’t care.
How to Make Apple Coffee Cake
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar. Add 2 eggs and vanilla and beat well.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to the creamed mixture along with the sour cream. Fold in 2 cups of finely chopped apples and 1/2 cup of walnuts. Spread in a 9×13 in pan.
- To make the topping, combine brown sugar, cinnamon and butter. Sprinkle over the batter.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350˚F for 35-40 minutes.
You guys. This coffee cake is moist, dense and absolutely delicious. I dare you to eat just one slice. Enjoy!
Tips and FAQ
Because of the sweetness of the batter, I highly recommend using a tart apple like Jonagold or granny smith.
Yes! I personally love nuts in my baked goods, but this coffee cake is equally as delicious nut-less.
When you insert a toothpick in the middle and it comes out clean, you know your coffee cake is done!
Store any leftover cake in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
More Breakfast Recipes
- Breakfast Casserole Recipe – hearty breakfast recipe
- Breakfast Burrito Recipe – great make ahead recipe for busy mornings!
- Sticky Buns Recipe – another sweet breakfast idea!
Apple Coffee Cake
Coffee Cake Batter
- 1/2 Cup shortening
- 1 Cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs well beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Cup sour cream
- 2 Cups apples finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup walnuts chopped
- 1/2 Cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons butter cold
- Preheat oven to 350˚ F and butter a 9×13 inch pan.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together shortening and sugar. Add 2 well beaten eggs and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet batter along with the sour cream. Mix until well incorporated. Fold in the chopped apples and walnuts. Spread in a greased 9×13 pan.
- To make the crumble topping: In a small bowl, cut in butter to the cinnamon and brown sugar. Sprinkle over the prepared batter in the 9×13 inch pan.
- Bake at 350˚F for 35-40 or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Serve warm.