Easy apple coffee cake recipe that’s made with apples and walnuts with a brown sugar crumble topping. The addition of sour cream brings in the flavor with this breakfast recipe that’s made in a 9×13 pan. It’s the perfect complement to a hot cup of coffee!
I am a coffee cake fanatic. I can’t get enough. And when I stumbled onto this recipe from my great- Aunt Margaret, I knew I had to give this one a try with its pairing of tart apples with a sweet crumble topping.
Made with traditional ingredients like sour cream, this recipe is SO GOOD. I had to stop myself from eating the entire pan. Seriously. And while this recipe didn’t rise to the height I thought it would, the moist apples combined with the walnuts meant I didn’t care.
How to Make Apple Coffee Cake
In a mixing bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar. Add 2 eggs and vanilla and beat well.
In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to the creamed mixture along with the sour cream. Fold in 2 cups of finely chopped apples and 1/2 cup of walnuts. Spread in a 9×13 in pan.
To make the topping, combine brown sugar, cinnamon and butter. Sprinkle over the batter.
Bake at 350˚F for 35-40 minutes.
You guys. This coffee cake is moist, dense and absolutely delicious. I dare you to eat just one slice. Enjoy!
What kind of apples for apple coffee cake?
Like all baked goods, I highly recommend using a tart apple like Jonagold or granny smith.
Can I omit the walnuts in this recipe?
Yes! I personally love nuts in my baked goods, but this coffee cake is equally as delicious nut-less.
How do I know when the coffee cake is fully baked?
When you insert a toothpick in the middle and it comes out clean, you know your coffee cake is done!
More Breakfast Recipes
Apple Coffee Cake
- 1/2 Cup shortening
- 1 Cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs well beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Cup sour cream
- 2 Cups apples finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup walnuts chopped
- 1/2 Cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons butter cold
- Preheat oven to 350˚ F and butter a 9x13 inch pan.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together shortening and sugar. Add 2 well beaten eggs and vanilla.
- In a seaparate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Add to the creamed mixture along with the sour cream.
- Fold in the chopped apples and walnuts. Spread in a greased 9x13 pan.
- In a small bowl, cut in butter to the cinnamon and brown sugar. Sprinkle over the batter in the 9x13 inch pan. Bake at 350˚F for 35-40 or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.